iTunes Album Disc Number Organization

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Ok so before iTunes 9 iTunes 8 used to break up the album correctly corresponding to Disc number. For Example, if you had Bob Marley's Greatest hits, the Album has something like 78 songs and its in 4 discs. iTunes 8 used to break up each disc and keep it organized. Heres what iTunes 9 does....and i cant figure out how to make it organize the discs. All of the info is correctly organized as with all my music.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i see what you mean. the only way it'll display the way you want is to sort by the artist. "album by year" and "album by artist" do not work like they used to.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Here is what I did to get it to work. Hope you have the same results. First off, list each song as Disc 1-1,Disc 1-2,ect. Then you have to go to each song and do the same thing under Album as you see in the pic.

test.jpg

Somewhat of a pain, but you can use C/P for the album part.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Still to no avail. Im guessing Apple will resolve this with their next update or something.
I've tried redoing all the info, Ive tried having each of the four discs in 1 of 1, 2 of 2, 3 of 3, 4 of 4. I've then tried having them in discs 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4, 4 of 4. Still no.

I then in View options checked "sort by disc number". All this did was add Disc of column. When the column is pressed it organizes the discs however its not permanent, if you Quit then open again it'll all be a mess.

This is an example from google on how it used to be:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I tried that, and altho it did organize all my other artists the way i wanted, the Bob Marley still didn't do anything.

I think i need to post a video since i cant convey whats going wrong. Or maybe what im doing wrong.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
A new iTunes update just came out that might just solve your problem.

iTunes 9.0.1 provides a number of important bug fixes, including:

• Resolves issues browsing the iTunes Store.
• Addresses a performance issue where iTunes may become unresponsive.
• Fixes a problem where iTunes may unexpectedly quit.
• Fixes a problem syncing Podcasts in playlists to iPod or iPhone.
Fixes a problem sorting albums with multiple discs.
• Addresses an issue with the Zoom button not switching to Mini Player.
• Improves application syncing for iPod touch and iPhone.
• Genius is now automatically updated to show Genius Mixes.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
"disc number" is used when the album is multiple discs. most albums are only one disc; for those, it is not necessary to put anything in the "discs number" field.