iTunes and Ringtones

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I may have heard him incorrectly, but I thought in Steve Jobs address today in SF, he said a new version of iTunes was "shipping" tonight, and that with the new version, people would be able to make their own ringtones for the iPhone. I just got the new update (ver. 7.4) all installed, and I see none of the "bells" Steve mentioned. I must say I have a PC and not a MAC. I'm just wondering if that feature is available only for the MAC. Anybody have any info on this?

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
I may have heard him incorrectly, but I thought in Steve Jobs address today in SF, he said a new version of iTunes was "shipping" tonight, and that with the new version, people would be able to make their own ringtones for the iPhone. I just got the new update (ver. 7.4) all installed, and I see none of the "bells" Steve mentioned. I must say I have a PC and not a MAC. I'm just wondering if that feature is available only for the MAC. Anybody have any info on this?
I'm on a mac and don't see them either.

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I have a ringtones tab, but no ringtones for sale on iTunes store. I think he said the ringtones will come next week.

jviphone

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
I have a ringtones tab, but no ringtones for sale on iTunes store. I think he said the ringtones will come next week.
I guess that means that Ill be sticking with my hacked version of my iPhone that I can use my own ringtones from .mp3 files

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I got a ringtone off the iStore (just did a serch for Ringtone) but not able to upload or see the little bell or edit it or anything like the show on the web site. It could be that iTunes is not fully updated with the ringtone option yet. I see the ringtone tab on my iPhone section when I plug it in but that's about it.

stpamamos

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Free Ringtones Glitch in iTunes

I only know how to work this for PC, sorry.
Make sure that under folder options who have the "Hide extensions for known file types" UNchecked.
Then, make sure whatever song you want to use as a ringtone is in AAC format, if it isn't, you can simply click on the song in iTunes and change the format..easy.
Then go to "add file to library.." and find the AAC file you want as a ringtone...at the end of the file will be the extension ".m4a"; simply change it to ".m4r" and upload. You won't see it in "Music", but if you look under the "Ringtones" tab on your iPhone you will see the file is now on the list to sync to your iPhone.
:) I have done two files so far, it works great!

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Same issue: bought ringtone from I store and--

It synced as a song but could not import under itune ringtone tab. Also you are supposed to be able to asign a ring tone to an email or text alert and I could not do that either? And I can't change setting under ringtone tab for sync all or select one? I guess the latest version of iTunes I downloaded (7.4.1) is not operational yet?

Jade

Sep 9, 2007
Ringtones...Coming Soon!

Nothing to worry about...I'm on a Mac & PC...
Apple has not released the new ringtone feature in the last iTunes update, yet. The Ringtone tab is a sign of good things to come...

bkrgrlmphs

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
ringtones where are you?

I only know how to work this for PC, sorry.
Make sure that under folder options who have the "Hide extensions for known file types" UNchecked.
Then, make sure whatever song you want to use as a ringtone is in AAC format, if it isn't, you can simply click on the song in iTunes and change the format..easy.
Then go to "add file to library.." and find the AAC file you want as a ringtone...at the end of the file will be the extension ".m4a"; simply change it to ".m4r" and upload. You won't see it in "Music", but if you look under the "Ringtones" tab on your iPhone you will see the file is now on the list to sync to your iPhone.
:) I have done two files so far, it works great!
I have been on my pc it seems forever following these "simple" steps and man am I frustrated. It shows on Ringtones in iTunes but not on my iPhone list. I've synced and synced. What else should I try? Help!