iTunes authorization glitch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 1, 2011
Ok I have a 16gb iphone 5 on verizon. I am jailbroken on ios 7.1.2 using pangu and have been since it came out. I havnt had any issues to speak of besides the usual occasional freeze or respring into safe mode ( I assume everyone has these issues from time to time ). So my issue is with iTunes. I honestly can't remember when it happened but it's been this way a while and I have gone through several iTunes updates since it started and they (the updates) have not fixed it.

I have just put up with it but it it to the point where I have to get this fixed. I try to sync my iphone with iTunes and it starts to and then pops up with the message that "this computer is not authorized to download purchases using this Apple ID, please authorize by playing a movie or song purchased with this Apple ID " ( maybe not word for word but that's the gist of it) the first time it popped up ( several months ago ) I had recently re-installed my computer os (win 7) and I used my last computer authorization (5-5) when I re installed iTunes.

So I get this message and decide to de-authorize ALL of my authorized computers. So I (successfully) de-authorized the computer in question 2 times as well as 3 of my other computers so I'm back at 0-5 computers authorized. I go to "authorize this computer" in iTunes, type n my credentials, and the message pops up that my computer was successfully authorized. I go to sync my phone again and I get the same error message as before.

I have tried authorizing my computer by playing an audio&video file, & clicking the authorize this computer, it says it is successfully and gives me my current computer count, but I still get the error message every freakin time. I have tried numerous times, de-authorizing my computer in between each time. All this leads to my sub-question: how can I back up my iTunes "backups" so that I can try to restore either my system or iTunes or both, in an attempt to fix this issue.

So I guess I have two questions and I would appreciate any input for either problem. Thank you all! Arrow-sulu

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Do you have any media in your iTunes library that was purchased from a friend or family member's iTunes account? If so, delete that media and try syncing again.

Do you have another iPhone, iPod or iPad that you sync with this computer? Is it syncing fine?

Which version of Windows or Mac are you using?

Oct 1, 2011
My wife has an iphone 4 ergo I have media files associated with her iTunes account. Her phone syncs fine though. I am running windows 7 as per my post. After I posted this I was trying to think of anything that might have caused it. I think I came up with what happened: when I re-did my system (PC) I restored all my programs using an "easy transfer" backup I had made, I'm thinking maybe something either got corrupted or there's some glitch of some sort that is causing my problems. I'm still confused why my wife's iphone is syncing properly, but that has got to be what it is. So I'm back to my second question. How can I back up my iTunes so I can try starting over. Now hypothetically I would back up the files "just in case" but not actualy restore them unless I absolutely needed them. And once again if I did restore them that could in theory bring my issue back. I hate computers lol.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Removing the media files that are tied to her account will likely fix this problem. I wouldn't take extreme measures here because they may not solve the problem. Her iPhone isn't experiencing this problem because the files are tied to her account.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Uncheck the boxes for syncing videos and then test a sync. If that fixes it, go through your videos individually and look at the Get Info information. Remove the ones that are purchased through her account and sync your videos back on.