iTunes backup file

will1286

Feb 16, 2009
Where do i find my iTunes backup file on windows xp so i can jailbreak my phone and not ruin my good backup file?
Thanks, Will

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Back ups are located in iTunes -> Edit -> Preferences ->Devices.

But I don't recommend restoring from a backup file once you have jailbroken. It will leave traces of the jailbreak. After restoring as a new device, just sync your media back on in iTunes and contacts back on through a yahoo or google acct.

wsrydah33

Mar 21, 2009
New to the forum...was able to jailbreak my 3G iPhone and everything works. Just a question though, when connected to iTunes and i sync my calendar, apps, etc. it automatically backs up. Europa indicated that the backup of a jailbroken iPhone will leave traces of the jb, but will that give me problems if i update with the new 3.0 coming out in the summer? Obviously, i would do the restore function, so would i be restoring to a new phone or the jailbroken one?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just let it do back ups as it normally does. But when it comes time to do the Apple FW 3.0 update, restore as a new device (to factory settings) instead of restoring from a back up. After that sync your media back on and then rejailbreak. The back ups themselves don't leave traces of the JB, it's restoring from a saved back up that does that. You can't restore "to a jailbroken phone". The two options are, as new device or from a back up. Both methods will erase the JB apps, but restoring as a new device is safer because it doesn't leave the traces behind that can cause problems.

wsrydah33

Mar 21, 2009
Just let it do back ups as it normally does. But when it comes time to do the Apple FW 3.0 update, restore as a new device (to factory settings) instead of restoring from a back up. After that sync your media back on and then rejailbreak. The back ups themselves don't leave traces of the JB, it's restoring from a saved back up that does that. You can't restore "to a jailbroken phone". The two options are, as new device or from a back up. Both methods will erase the JB apps, but restoring as a new device is safer because it doesn't leave the traces behind that can cause problems.
thanks! makes sense now.

op - my bad for going off from your post.