iTunes can not find my library, please help.

Toxic Gecko

Bronze
Mar 29, 2008
Ok, here is the situation. I hava a PC laptop with an 80 gig hard drive. My iTunes library has always been stored on an external HD because it will not fit on my laptop. I have never had any problems with my iTunes before. I am getting a new PC laptop and I have been movig all of my info from my current laptop to my external HD so when I get my new laptop the move of info will be easier. I moved the iTunes folder from the laptop my music folder to the external and now when I open iTunes it is empty. I have moved the folder back to the laptop, but I am still getting the same results. The entire library is still in tact and in the same place as it has always been, but I guess when I moved the iTunes folder with the iTunes music library XML document and the iTunes music database file, when I opened iTunes it could not find the info.

How do I get iTunes to find the info so I can sync my iPod and my new as of today iPhone 3G which has replaced my V1 iPhone.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this matter.

Dan.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Well, I can't help you with finding your library, but i can help you restore your library.

copied this from my answer on another thread.

This happened to me, pds. My comp account was corrupted and lost all my iTunes stuff. I still had the music on the ipod, so heres what i did.

went to iTunes, plugged in the ipod.

DID NOT resync with iTunes.

enabled disk use.

went to the ipod under My Computer.
-tool->folder options->view tab-> click on show hidden files

you should see a folder appear now. i think it was called music?

copy and paste it to wherever you wish.

reupload everything from that folder to your iTunes. In the folder the videos and music should have weird names like IVDSD, but when you upload it should be renamed properly

Toxic Gecko

Bronze
Mar 29, 2008
Well, I can't help you with finding your library, but i can help you restore your library.

copied this from my answer on another thread.

This happened to me, pds. My comp account was corrupted and lost all my iTunes stuff. I still had the music on the ipod, so heres what i did.

went to iTunes, plugged in the ipod.

DID NOT resync with iTunes.

enabled disk use.

went to the ipod under My Computer.
-tool->folder options->view tab-> click on show hidden files

you should see a folder appear now. i think it was called music?

copy and paste it to wherever you wish.

reupload everything from that folder to your iTunes. In the folder the videos and music should have weird names like IVDSD, but when you upload it should be renamed properly

Using this method are you able to get your playlists back?

Other than the above method, just messing around with it I was able to just click and drag my library into iTunes, but when I try to sync it is treating it as a new account and it's telling me it will erase all data and start fresh. This is a problem as I will have to redo all of my playlists and redownload everything I have downloaded from the app store while on my phone.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
You go to option or preferences, whatever it is on windows, go to the advanced tab, and change the location of your iTunes to your external drive.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
If you still have the old laptop you can export the iTunes library (xml, playlist data, etc.) then move the file to the external. Then import it from the external it to iTunes on the new laptop.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Using this method are you able to get your playlists back?

Other than the above method, just messing around with it I was able to just click and drag my library into iTunes, but when I try to sync it is treating it as a new account and it's telling me it will erase all data and start fresh. This is a problem as I will have to redo all of my playlists and redownload everything I have downloaded from the app store while on my phone.
My method is intended if you cannot retrieve your files...almost like a last resort method. You will just get music and video's, not playlist or play counts...etc.

Toxic Gecko

Bronze
Mar 29, 2008
You go to option or preferences, whatever it is on windows, go to the advanced tab, and change the location of your iTunes to your external drive.

I did that first and the library was still empty when I opened iTunes.

Toxic Gecko

Bronze
Mar 29, 2008
If you still have the old laptop you can export the iTunes library (xml, playlist data, etc.) then move the file to the external. Then import it from the external it to iTunes on the new laptop.

I tried that too, iTunes will not let me import the file. Everytime I try to do it it acts like it will work, then just back to nothing.

Toxic Gecko

Bronze
Mar 29, 2008
My method is intended if you cannot retrieve your files...almost like a last resort method. You will just get music and video's, not playlist or play counts...etc.

Yeah, I still have all of my files. But it looks like I will just go ahead and start fresh again. I have already moved everything and re-downloaded all of my apps. The only thing left to do is recreate my playlists. I only had a few anyway and I have been wanting to edit them for a while now. I guess this is my cue.

Thank you all for the help and the quick responses.