iTunes can't find the iPhone... Redux

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Driving me absolutely crazy. Anyone else whose iPhone is no longer found by iTunes? I'm getting the old "we see an iPhone but we just can't recognize it" error. Solving the problem? Disconnecting the PC from the Internet network by pulling out the NIC cable. Then the PC recognizes the iPhone. This solution brought to those of you who haven't seen this or are about to...

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Kind of cunfused on this question. So, you're saying sometimes your iPhone is no longer found or unable to be seen by iTunes? This can be for several reasons. If iTunes gets timed out while syncing, the iPhone will be unable to be found now. A simple reboot will fix this.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Sometimes... but for some reason it happens on my PC and the only way out is to yank out the ethernet cable and then it works perfectly. Working on solving this issue...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm convinced the 3GS draws slightly more power than standard USB spec. I'm having all sorts of issues over here with my setup (which, granted, is already stretching the USB limits with regards to my extensions). This could maybe explain why disconnecting the NIC solves it for you (if they draw from the same rail on the PSU). Just know you're not alone in this. I've read many with similar issues in PC land.

I'm not sure of the answer. I may be trying a beefier power supply myself. Maybe if I could find one that is particularly well-known for supplying rock-solid +5V. Any suggestions?