iTunes device over capacity?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by J-94, Dec 26, 2013.

1. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Hello it has been a while since my last visit and i shall strive to check in more often in the future! I am currently having a descrepancy with my iTunes account. After updating my phone after about a month of purchases, iTunes notified me that my device was over capacity. Deeming this to be impossible, I checked my phone and saw that i had nearly 4G of free space. After consulting with my old friend google I thought i should restore from new. I am not comfortable doing this as iTunes has warned me that purchases not on my computer will have to be re-purchased. Aghhh! This is so crazy. I have noticed that song were moved to the cloud (seemingly) randomly as well. WHAT. IS. GOING. ON?

Oh and to all the older members that are still around... school is going well, and I'll be 20 in June haha hope you're all doing well.

2. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Upon powering off the phone and shutting down iTunes, it seems to have corrected itself. However the "other" section under the summary is still over 7gigs. is this normal?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's been a while. Good to see you. :)

7 GB is pretty high. How much space is your messages app taking up?

Settings > General > Usage (wait a minute for it to load) > Messages

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Try here.

#4 Napoleon PhoneApart, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  5. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Thanks! I'll try to be around more often lol
    and to answer your question, not a lot of space at all 422 MB

6. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Do you think i should restore from back up, would that make a difference?

#6 J-94, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, restore from backup. The unknown/corrupt data often doesn't transfer over to the backup. If it does, you could restore to factory settings at that point.

8. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

alright. I'll go do that now. Be back in a few (hopefully lol)

9. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

alright. so when i went to restore from back up, i was notified that some purchases made on the phone had not been transferred to my computer, although i didn't see any in the status bar thing during the sync. Could iTunes be mistaking synced purchases for unsynced purchases. I really would rather avoid paying for them again if so.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Music and apps can be downloaded again for free, even if they haven't ever been transferred to a computer. I thought movies could be as well, but I'm not certain.

11. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Alright. Hold on a minute.

12. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Still waiting.....:confused:

13. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Alright I've restored from backup. However the problem has gotten worse. I now have 9.5gigs of other and i only had 144 random songs from the 900+ I had purchased. I'm going to scream.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeesh. I had my iPad mini for about three days when suddenly the other section shot up to 7 GB. It was less than 1GB the day before. I restored it to stock and synced everything back on and it's been fine since. It was a bit of a hassle, but that's what I recommend you do as well.

15. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

How would i go about this? You mean restore to new? Its 2:30Am where I am lol i need sleep but i wanna see this through...

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just hit the restore button in iTunes and select "new iPhone" when it asks if you want to use a backup. Then you'll have to sync your music, apps, etc. iCloud will add your contacts, bookmarks and notes back in. You don't have to do it tonight.

17. supersonicbaron

Bronze

I have had a similar issue, restore and set up as new is the best option. Sometimes the backup file carried the corrupt data (in my case it did)

I have a 64Gig 5s that has 55Gigs of stuff - restore and sync took about 3 hours, then there's the restore of in app purchases

Quite annoying but the best option to get the "other" data down. I currently have about 1,7Gigs of "other" data, from the research I have done that seems to be an acceptable number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

1.7 GB of "other" is acceptable? Maybe for a 64gb phone. But I wouldn't want that much on my 16gb phone.

Sent using iCafe app

19. supersonicbaron

Bronze

Considering that the OS(iOS 7) is approximately 1.2Gig itself, I don't see how you'll escape "other" or get it lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

iOS 7 took about 200 mb more than iOS 6. I have no idea what I have in "other". I don't think it's much. I've kept a watch on my space usage, and haven't noticed any unexplained loss. Here's my usage info. About to delete some photos and a few apps.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1388253913.741456.jpg

Sent using iCafe app