iTunes error - it was just the beginning...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

emphar

Jul 12, 2007
"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "xxx's iPhone".
Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore
to restore this iPhone to the factory settings."

I have seen this message before, except with the iPhone replaced by iPod and it wasn't a fun adventure.

Here is the adventure:
1) Repaired iTunes - No Fix
2) Reinstalled iTunes - No Fix
3) Reset iPhone settings - No Fix
4) Erase All Content and Settings - Success (or so it seems).

iTunes now give me the option to restore my iPhone which I click. iTunes proceeds to freeze for 5+ minutes (shows "Not Responding" in Taskmgr). I end the task and open iTunes again. Now it doesn't ever see the iPhone.
Restart the PC again.

Get the restore option again, this time it works. The iPhone shows that it is restoring then reboots itself. iTunes show the iPhone but doesn't give me any sync options just shows the restore screen still.
GG iTunes, Restart AGAIN.

Ok, now iTunes automatically starts to sync with the iPhone but get 3 songs in before it says:
"The iPhone "xxx's iPhone" cannot by synced. The disk could not be read from or written to."
Well maybe it is just a one time thing. I click "Sync" and I get a new error message:
"The iPhone "xxx's iPhone" cannot be synced. The requested disc cannot be found."

The funny thing is that throughout this whole adventure Windows can detect and read the iPhone.

That is where I stand at the moment, taking any and all suggestions that might prevent a trip to the Apple Store for an RTM.

Zeenbor

Jul 17, 2007
I'm having the same issue. Same error message and all. :(

iTunes says that my iPhone has 1GB of music in it (which it does), yet the iPod tab on the iPhone says I have nothing in my library.

Please tell me there is a solution that doesn't involve restoring my iPhone. I don't want to lose everything!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I would lose connectivity until I tried putting my iPhone in a different usb port. Dunno what it fixed, but I haven't had any sync issues anymore.

Zeenbor

Jul 17, 2007
Ok, so I resolved it... Thanks to my buddy who works at Apple.

- Plug your iPhone in your computer. Let iTunes come up. Click OK on that stupid dialog box that comes up.
- Turn off your iPhone.
- Hold down both buttons (back and the on button).
- After 4 seconds, let go of the on/off button, but keep the back button held down for 10 seconds. You should see the LCD come up with a caution prompt to connect your iPhone for restoration.
- iTunes should come up and you will be able to restore your firmware via iPhone properties.

You will lose all contacts, etc. since your last sync, but otherwise you'll be OK. I could be missing something, so I'll check my chat log with him when I get home tonight.

Mazzle

Jun 24, 2010
Thanks hartefbrown1. That worked perfectly for me, except I had to delete a file called iTunesCDB, not iTunesDB, which it could not find. After doing so, I was able to use iTunes once again, and I didn't lose a thing.

pollyanna

Jul 3, 2010
hartefbrown1 said:
Found an easier way! just download and install i-funbox [spam link removed] Connect your iPhone, Go and find “iTunesDB” using i-funbox and delete it, Open iTunes on your PC\Mac and Walla! You’re back to Syncing and no more Messages! Enjoy

Thank you for this tip! Have been searching the internet for a solution and was about to resort to the dreaded Restore - this had the problem fixed instantly. Massively appreciative :) :)

Aug 11, 2010
Will this work for iPod Touch?

Sorry for Re-Opening this thread... but I have a question....

When ever I connect my iPod Touch 8GB 3.1.2. to the computer, it says "iTunes cannot read the contents of "My Name" iPod. Please click the summary tab and press the restore button to restore to factory settings."

It's not Jailbroken. Will going into iFunbox and deleting the file work? And which one do I delete? because I searched the files on my iPod with iFunBox and it has both iTunesCDB and iTunesDB, which one do I delete? I'm tired of not being able to update or remove files from my iPod. And BTW, I'm not on my laptop, because my laptop won't turn on because the DC Jack is loose, so I'm on the desktop computer. I can't restore on this computer, because Not all of my music is on this computer, I'd be missing like 1600+ songs. And my iPod says it can't find iTunesCDB and that its corrupted.

aim1210

Jan 24, 2011
thnx man ..the file cant be deleted after i found it

hartefbrown1 said:
Found an easier way! just download and install i-funbox [spam link removed] Connect your iPhone, Go and find “iTunesDB” using i-funbox and delete it, Open iTunes on your PC\Mac and Walla! You’re back to Syncing and no more Messages! Enjoy
after i downloaded i-funbox and searched fot iTunesDB i couldnt delete the file ..how can i delete it ? thnx again for your efforts :)