iTunes iPhone backup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Does anyone know if there is a way to force iTunes to backup your iPhone? I thought that it backed up everytime you sync but mine does not. Thank you.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
No I meant your iPhone backup. When in iTunes if you go to Edit, then Preferences, under the Sync tab it shows when your iPhone was last backed up. Is there a way to force this backup to happened? Thanks

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
you can also delete the last backup from within iTunes. Next time you sync, it will DEFINITELY make a back-up.
in my experience, sometimes if you change sync settings and choose "Apply" it will sync but not backup. You need to choose the "Sync" to force full sync and backup.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you're using iTunes 7.5, then it;s backed up every time you sync. Up at the top, where it says "syncing music..." "syncing photos...", etc, it also says 'Backing Up..." for about 2 seconds.

Dec 20, 2007
Not if the iPhone is left connected to the Mac. If you make some more edits and click Sync in iTunes, a new backup is not created.

Dec 20, 2007
just reporting what happens on the Macs here. same on all Macs tested here in the office. If you unplug and replug the iPhone, the backup gets created everytime, but not if left connected and use the sync button in iTunes.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
how do you restore from a backup? and will it put back all the apps and everything? or just iTunes stuff? I can never locate the file or does it do it auto?

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
right but will it find the backup file or do I? because I d/k where it is. And will it restore everything like smb & customize or just iTunes stuff?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
right but will it find the backup file or do I? because I d/k where it is. And will it restore everything like smb & customize or just iTunes stuff?
It will find the backup file, but I know nothing about jailbreaking so will have to let others answer that one.
My wild guess is that you will lose the customize stuff but don't take my word on this. Some will chime in and let you know.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I don't know about custom stuff, but it will put back things like SMS text messages, notes, your weather location preferences, stock lists, network key ids, and that kind of thing. If you restore and do not restore from a back-up, then you will lose all that stuff (it's a big pain!). Unfortunately if you have a real problem with your phone, Apple support will probably tell you to restore your phone as if it was new (not from a backup) to see if it resolves the problem, so you will end up losing all of that stuff--it would be nice if you could do a full restore and somehow get just the content back without restoring from a backup. (I have heard that a jailbreak program can backup things like Notes and text messages, but I'm not jail-broken, so I haven't used it.)

I should also note that I don't think a restore from backup will put all your iTunes songs back (when I did it, my song library remained empty even though I had 800 songs on there). All that stuff is stored on your hard drive though, so you simply have to synch again after restoring from backup.

dd16seg

Jul 18, 2008
you can also delete the last backup from within iTunes. Next time you sync, it will DEFINITELY make a back-up.
in my experience, sometimes if you change sync settings and choose "Apply" it will sync but not backup. You need to choose the "Sync" to force full sync and backup.
I deleted my last backup but want to be sure that when I hit sync, will my iPhone import my calendar/contact info from my mac? I have all my info on the phone and want this to be backed up on my computer. Will hitting sync delete all this info off my iPhone and not save it on the computer?

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
I was actually looking for the opposite. That backup thing is so annoying, I just want it to sync music/other stuff... the backup takes literally a half hour. Thank god I found that little X next to the bar to cancel it (yes i know, noob).

Anyway, what's it backing up anyway? After I cancel the back up it syncs contacts, mail, etc anyway (and really fast).

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
I was actually looking for the opposite. That backup thing is so annoying, I just want it to sync music/other stuff... the backup takes literally a half hour. Thank god I found that little X next to the bar to cancel it (yes i know, noob).

Anyway, what's it backing up anyway? After I cancel the back up it syncs contacts, mail, etc anyway (and really fast).

I agree, mine takes aaaaages. and clicking the X button only cancels it 50% of the time, bummer!