iTunes + iPhone = clunky annoying interface!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
I love this phone. It's the greatest phone ever made in my opinion and is fun to use. However...the execution of iTunes for syncing with the iPhone is a horrid clunky royal PAIN IN THE ASS.

Is it too much to ask for the ability to drag and drop my files into the library? For frack sake man! All I'm asking for is basic ipod functionality for "the world's greatest ipod". Convenience!

I do not want my phone to be dictated by my computer's library and playlists. How about an "Add New" option to import only new content from the Mac/PC to iPhone? Seriously. Any changes we do on the iPhone, such as adding bookmarks are superseded by any sync and get changed over to however we have our Mac/PC browser set up.

Music and video is no easier to manage -- import new tracks into your Mac/PC library and when you sync it deletes the iPhone drive and copies THE WHOLE GODDAMNED LIBRARY back over! So at best this takes time depending on your library size. Why when I need to add only 1 or 2 songs to the iPhone? At worst you get your iPhone songs and movies wiped out if you don't have everything selected before syncing. AND to top it all off...Mac/PC playlists take priority. Want your iPhone's recently played, most played, etc playlists intact? Too bad! They get wiped to the Mac/PC lists!

I hope, no I PRAY this gets fixed soon. Because it's so simple. Let use drag and drop into iPhone on iTunes. And for fucks sake! Let use have an option for CHOOSING whether we want our iPhone settings and playlists overwritten. I expect better from Apple.

Still a kick ass phone but clearly a beta product. Very much looking forward to software updates incoming.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
All I can say is you must have something set wrong. It should NOT be deleting what's on your iPhone and recopying everything. I've had various iPods over the years, and that has NEVER happened, including with the new iPhone.

hunt577

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I completely agree. I love everything About this device, and this was my only dissappointment. When I found I couldn't drag and drop my music I was baffeled. I am sure this will be fixed with the software update. I would dddinately agree that we are still in the beta stages. I must say I am happy to be apart of it because we are helping Apple fix the bugs and errors.

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
I completely agree. I love everything About this device, and this was my only dissappointment. When I found I couldn't drag and drop my music I was baffeled. I am sure this will be fixed with the software update. I would dddinately agree that we are still in the beta stages. I must say I am happy to be apart of it because we are helping Apple fix the bugs and errors.
Yes, the pros definitely outweigh the cons, particularly considering despite the iTunes interface this phone is vastly superior and user-friendly compared to any other phone out there today.

Good to see I'm not the only one frustrated by this iTunes force-feeding. Many reviews have also pointed this out. As for the other folks...you all using Mac or PC? I'm on a PC. And pray tell where you can possibly adjust settings whereby syncing music/movies doesn't require playlists? Because according to the iPhone User Manual on Apple's website, what I am experiencing is how the phone is supposed to work.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
You could only "drag and drop" into iTunes, just like the iPod. Same exact thing. You still have to have it all listed and synced in iTunes for it to show up on your device. I hate that altogether, and always have, since my 1st iPod.

My first MP3 player was a creative brand. I like being able to just explore the device in Windows, like it was a drive, and create my own folders and just drop files in there. I WAY prefer that method. But, Apple has not set it up that way, and it's ok with me, 'cause I've figured out iTunes now, and it's ok.
I just deal with it. It's no big deal at all. You have to do a little extra work getting your ID3 tags correct for it to sort properly, but once you do, at least you can say it's perfectly sorted. lol
You have to do a couple minutes worth of work, but it makes it way easier to navigate through, when you actually go to listen to the music. That is the whole point in it being so restrictive. You do a little work "behind-the-scenes", and once you're ready to pull the iPod / iPhone out your pocket and listen to music, it's fast, easy and perfectly sorted. :)

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
Interesting. So the reason for that system is sorting? I assumed it was for security reasons to narrow exploit avenues by controlling everything through iTunes. I do like the "smart" playlist functions and have all my music tagged to take advantage of it (took 2 days to do this for all my songs).

I guess I'd be happy if iTunes wouldn't wipe the iPhone clean and copy ALL the songs back over every time, even if you only want to add a couple new tracks for syncing over. I don't see the point in that. The smart thing to do would be for iTunes to check the phone, see what tracks and playlists are already there, and adjust as necessary (ie add the new tracks to the phone).

Btw, I never owned an ipod. I'm a recent Apple convert...always liked their products, just never changed over because of the prices. But my next computer is going to be a Mac because I am so sick of Microsoft adding features I don't want and overcomplicating the simplest of tasks.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Interesting. So the reason for that system is sorting? I assumed it was for security reasons to narrow exploit avenues by controlling everything through iTunes.
It has a little to do with this, too.
But, it serves better as a form of simpifying the end-user interface (the iPod/iPhone) than anything else.