iTunes. Is. Slow. Seriously.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
My iTunes has always been slow, but this is ridiculous: When I select a movie in the Library and right-click it to choose "Get Info", the info window takes OVER 30 SECONDS to appear. I'm trying to edit the season and episode data on some transferred TiVo shows and it's painful... Seriously painful. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using Vista on a new PC, by the way; 2 gigs RAM, speedy box, etc.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
My iTunes has always been slow, but this is ridiculous: When I select a movie in the Library and right-click it to choose "Get Info", the info window takes OVER 30 SECONDS to appear. I'm trying to edit the season and episode data on some transferred TiVo shows and it's painful... Seriously painful. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using Vista on a new PC, by the way; 2 gigs RAM, speedy box, etc.

It is not your system. Get ready for iTunes to get real slow to the point of almost shutting down on Christmas day because that will be the worst day. Everyone is going online to activate and cash in the iTunes gift cards. Last xmas they almost shut down.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

are you viewing the movies with the artwork? If so, try just viewing the list without artwork.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Rebooted, viewing without the artwork, zilch. Quite frustrating.
that's quite bizarre. I have my videos on an external hard drive, so when i try to edit their information, there is a second or two lag while the hard drive spins up, but nothing like 30 seconds.

how many processes are running on your computer currently? Are you on a PC? If so, are you using Norton or Macaffee antivirus/internet security software?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
that's quite bizarre. I have my videos on an external hard drive, so when i try to edit their information, there is a second or two lag while the hard drive spins up, but nothing like 30 seconds.

how many processes are running on your computer currently? Are you on a PC? If so, are you using Norton or Macaffee antivirus/internet security software?
It's a PC, running Vista, 2G ram, Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz. Everything else on the system is humming along, low CPU/RAM usage. System is virus/spyware checked. iTunes is the only pokey-ass application. Even editing large images in PS with dozens of layers is quick.. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling; will my Library stay intact if I do?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, your library will be fine.

the only reason i asked about Norton and Mcaffee is because most versions of those seriously soak up system resources... but it sounds like everything else is working ok for you.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
do you know what your page file sizes are set to?

2328M, system managed. Physical RAM is 58% used on average, CPU, Disk, and Network are all low.

I just did a "Get Info" while watching the Performance Monitor and the disk usage spiked for the entire time of the delay. Not sure why, but I am gonna defrag and stuff and try it again.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
2328M, system managed. Physical RAM is 58% used on average, CPU, Disk, and Network are all low.

I just did a "Get Info" while watching the Performance Monitor and the disk usage spiked for the entire time of the delay. Not sure why, but I am gonna defrag and stuff and try it again.

Also run a cleanup of your drive first before doing the defrag. Also if you have mcafee it is the worst slowest, norton is the way.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Late to the party, but I looked into this issue for you on Apple's d-boards. I did see that several others are experiencing this issue, but no solution has been put forward. Best I can tell is that it's a Vista problem, as 2 users were fine under XP until upgrading to Vista. Any brisk-itunes-under-Vista users out there?

If you've already got the most recent iTunes release installed, i'm not sure what to suggest. Is the hang happening what you Get Info on MP3s? If it's only video files, check the read/write permissions of the offending files. You can also try rebuilding your iTunes library, but be aware you'll lose your playlist data unless you back it up first.

Good luck!

-K

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Late to the party, but I looked into this issue for you on Apple's d-boards. I did see that several others are experiencing this issue, but no solution has been put forward. Best I can tell is that it's a Vista problem, as 2 users were fine under XP until upgrading to Vista. Any brisk-itunes-under-Vista users out there?

If you've already got the most recent iTunes release installed, i'm not sure what to suggest. Is the hang happening what you Get Info on MP3s? If it's only video files, check the read/write permissions of the offending files. You can also try rebuilding your iTunes library, but be aware you'll lose your playlist data unless you back it up first.

Good luck!

-K

OK, I rebuilt the library, and it's still the same. > 30 secs for the Get Info dialog on a 20 minute video. MP3s come up immediately.

I tried running iTunes in WinXP compatibility mode, but it did not like that. :)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Hoooookay. Here's an hour of my life I want back.

I decided to call Apple Care today and see if they could kick my iTunes in its ass for me. Long story short, here's what I did:

1. Uninstall iTunes, Quicktime, Mobile Device Service and Software update. Reboot.

2. Reinstall same.

3. Determine that nothing improved.

4. Listen to rep tell me how it works fine on a Mac.

5. Demonstrate for rep how long it takes since he doesn't believe it could take that long. It does.

6. Listen to rep tell me that my whole computer must be slow. It's not.

7. Tell rep that, yes, there are 77 processes running, and no, that's not unusual, neither is large amounts of RAM being used by Vista unusual.

8. Listen to rep tell me that Macs don't use that much RAM on their own.

9. Listen to rep tell me that he's not sure it's completely compatible with Vista.

10. Listen to rep suggest that I send feedback on the Apple web site.

11. Hang up and realize I wasted an hour.

So, to sum, they have no earthly idea what the deal is. He simply didn't want to believe that only portions of iTunes - and not the whole computer - was slow. The PC-bashing wasn't bad, but I sorely wanted to tell him that how well it ran on a Mac was friggin' irrelevant since I DON'T OWN ONE. And not compatible with Vista? Not according to the download site..

Next I think I will try safe mode to see how it works there.