iTunes Login problem - account name versus email

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sarahk, Jan 31, 2012.

1. sarahk

sarahk New Member

I've got an original iPad and an iTunes account started years ago when my daughter got an ipod so it was created with a "username".

They've changed their system to drop the username and have everyone login with email addresses. All good, happy with that.

I've logged into iTunes using my email address and iCloud is working fine for my daughter's iPhone and I also get to see all her photos streaming on my iPad.

My iPad however is stuck in username mode. I've logged out and logged back in using my email successfuly but if I try to do an app update it asks for the password for the username and there is no option to change to the email. I've rebooted, let it run out of battery - hell, I've even upgraded my PC to win7 and reinstalled iTunes.

If I try to sync it fails to backup and when I kill that and let it move onto syncing it asks for the password time and again - telling me I'm already authorised, but asking again straight away - for the next app presumably.

I have a couple of key apps I want to upgrade and one my son wants to install and it's annoying us both equally that it just won't work for us.

Any ideas how to get around this?

thanks

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

In settings on your ipad go to "store" Click on the "Apple ID" tab at the bottom. choose "sign out" Than click on "sign in" and pick the user name and password you want to use.

3. Juan Gil

Juan Gil New Member

Here I will show you a Guide to iTunes Login.
    http://logintoiTunes.com/

This is how I fixed this problem.

-Click Start and then go to Control Panel.
    - Click “User Accounts and Family Safety.”
    - When you get to the the User Accounts window, select User Accounts.
    - Windows Vista: Click “Turn User Account Controls on or off.”
    - Windows Vista: Deselect the option to “Use User Account Controls (UAC) to help protect your computer.”
    *Windows 7: Click “Change User Account Control settings.”
    Windows 7: Move the slider to the bottom setting (“Never notify”).
    - Click OK.
    - Restart your computer.
    - Choose Start > Control Panel.
    - Click “User Accounts and Family Safety.”
    - In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.
    - Windows Vista: Click “Turn User Account Controls on or off.”
    -Windows Vista: Select the option to “Use User Account Controls (UAC) to help protect your computer.”
    *Windows 7: Click “Change User Account Control settings.”
    *Windows 7: Move the slider back to the desired setting.
    - Click the OK button.
    - Restart your computer.
    -Authorize your computer with your iTunes Store account

4. sarahk

sarahk New Member

I seem to be having other problems as well but the solution to this one was to "just go with it" and when it wanted the password for the username to put in the password that applied then (I'd changed it recently) and when it gave the email to put in the new password.

Messed up!

5. sarahk

sarahk New Member

Have been trucking along happily until the boy wanted an add on for Gun Bros - and it won't install unless I'm logged in with the old username. Saved $ that time :)

6. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

I noticed with mine, if it's an old app updating it requests my old username from iTunes. If I download a new app or a more recent app download, it asks for my email. I thought I had read that Apple was going to allow you to merge the old ID with the new email login.