iTunes movie rentals..

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
just read an article that Jobs was not happy about the amount of movie rentals that they had, my answer to that is that it it too expensive, for the 24 hr rental time it is just too expensive.
i use redbox all the time, you can google that for more info.
it si 1.00 day and 1.00 for everyday that you keep it, this is reasonable, and i will continue to use this redbox till iTunes tones down their prices....

sorry this is just some thing that was on my mind, can't talk about this with my GF she thinks that this is geek talk to i decided that i'd share this with you all, since i can...

have a nice day

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Or you can go to www.watch-movies.net to watch the latest movies for free some of the movies aren't perfect but some are DVD quality. And they got a whole bunch of old not in thearter movies. Its a cool website check it out. I would probably be intrested in the iTunes rentals when blue ray hits it up and my MacBook is in my hands.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
thanks for the post. I think that's why me and you post some much on here my wife could care less about what I have to say regarding anything to do with the iPhone. I only rented 1 movie and that was for my trip on a plane. Ocean 13 best flight ever.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While the utility of the rentals is fantastic. No driving to the store, no waiting on the mail, the price point is just too much for most. I haven't yet rented a movie from iTunes because I have the unlimited rental thing from Blockbuster and it's just down the street. I think that if iTunes instituted some sort of program in which you pay say $30, you get unlimited rentals for the month, or something along those lines, then their rentals would easily dominate Blockbuster and would soon rival Netflix. I might give the rentals a try since I'll be going to Europe soon and it'll give me an opportunity to test it out, but I won't start renting regularly until they offer some sort of package deal.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Indeed. I have the same Blockbuster service, and that's why I don't use iTunes for my movies.

If they had selections for $10, $20 or $30, maybe defining how many movies you could have out at a time like Blockbuster and Netflix, iTunes would be the way I get my movies.

Bboy Trick

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
NJ
You guys are 100 percent right iTunes charges too much money for movie rentals and lets say you have the movie on your iPhone and you play it by mistake, you only have 24 hours to watch it and nowadays people are busy!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes bro i agree i never considered the accident thing happening, or how bout this, some one asks to see your phone. [happens to me all the time] then they hit play on that movie then you have to watch it!

what can you do call Apple be on hold for like 20 min then you can explain that it was someone looking at your phone that accidentally hit the movie..

no you cant do that...

im sure that they'll fix this..
i hope that they do..

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I don't know - I think 24 hours is a bit short, but I think the prices are fair. I don't usually watch movies more than once, and paying $2.99 for a one day rental is much better than paying $9.99 or $14.99, watching the movie for one day, then having to deal with a 1 or 2 GB file that I probably won't watch again anytime soon.

- John

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
just read an article that Jobs was not happy about the amount of movie rentals that they had, my answer to that is that it it too expensive, for the 24 hr rental time it is just too expensive.
i use redbox all the time, you can google that for more info.
it si 1.00 day and 1.00 for everyday that you keep it, this is reasonable, and i will continue to use this redbox till iTunes tones down their prices....

sorry this is just some thing that was on my mind, can't talk about this with my GF she thinks that this is geek talk to i decided that i'd share this with you all, since i can...

have a nice day

Are you referring to where he referred to not having 1,000 movies to rent due to studios not getting them ready? That is a bit different than what you are saying and doesn't have anything to do with rental pricing or how long you can have the movie. Do you have a link?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
no link, yes that is what he was saying... he was saying that it was the companies fault that they did not provide the films on time, im saying that that is BS the real reason is that the movies cost to much plain and simple.... he can have 3000 movie up there but that still makes them TOO expensive..

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
no link, yes that is what he was saying... he was saying that it was the companies fault that they did not provide the films on time, im saying that that is BS the real reason is that the movies cost to much plain and simple.... he can have 3000 movie up there but that still makes them TOO expensive..
The studios not providing the movies for renting on iTunes is because Apple has priced the rentals too high? I'm not quite following how the two correlate.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've rented the special of the week for $1.99, plus one more at full price. Definitely would have rented more if it weren't for the price, and more importantly, the 24 hour viewing window. That's kinda ridiculous and the only people I've seen defending it are the same people who support Apple no matter what they do.

It's not like they need the movie back so they can rent it to someone else. They apparently think that by restricting it to 24 hours people will rent another the next day (I don't believe Apple/Hollywood think people will pay another $4 to finish the same movie, the next day--or maybe they do).

There was a poorly written article over at TUAW that, essentially, claimed the terms were OK because that's the way it was when renting VHS tapes back in 1987. Absurd. That model has failed, and is why Blockbuster had to change--and why Netflix is so popular. BB and Netflix are the competitors, not some outdated model from the '80s or '90s.

That said, I have a Redbox a few minutes away from my house. The price is great, but it's predicated on x% of people not bringing it back the next day--and I am one of them ;). Plus I don't want to do the rip/re-encode dance anymore. Let me click-to-rent, at a reasonable price with reasonable terms, and I'm on it.

--
Mike