iTunes no longer auto starts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Goodwood

Aug 29, 2007
IN
I was getting tired of this Windoze message asking me what I wanted to do when I plugged my iPhone into the puter, so I told went into Explore, right clicked, selected properties, and instructed it to do nothing. At that point, not only does my iPhone not open iTunes anymore, but it doesn't even show itself in Explore. How can I fix this? I do want it to auto start iTunes when i connect, but I don't want Win to ask me what I want to do.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I'm not a PC person, but on my Mac, I would get rid of explorer, including preferences, and iTunes and reinstall everything fresh.
Do not get rid of explorer, otherwise your pc won't work. It's been a while since I've work on a PC, but there is a place where you can change your settings and preferences regarding your phone. I think your phone has to be plugged in before you can access the preferences... Again, I may be way off, but I'd google it and see what you can come up with...

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Do not get rid of explorer, otherwise your pc won't work. It's been a while since I've work on a PC, but there is a place where you can change your settings and preferences regarding your phone. I think your phone has to be plugged in before you can access the preferences... Again, I may be way off, but I'd google it and see what you can come up with...
While I trust you know a lot more about PC's than I do, why would a PC not work without Explorer being on it, if you have another browser that you can use to re-download it? Also, doesn't a PC keep a back-up copy of the installer?:confused: If not, another reason to think that PC's do suck, after all.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
While I trust you know a lot more about PC's than I do, why would a PC not work without Explorer being on it, if you have another browser that you can use to re-download it? Also, doesn't a PC keep a back-up copy of the installer?:confused: If not, another reason to think that PC's do suck, after all.
Well explorer.exe is windows explorer. It is what lets your browse your computer and files, and basically access the GUI. Iexplorer.exe (I think that's the executable's name) is Internet Explorer. THAT you can delete, but it won't help the OP, since IE has nothing to do with what he's trying to accomplish... I guess an analogy would be explorer.exe is to pc's like finder is to macs.

Someone correct me if I am off base here...

Goodwood

Aug 29, 2007
IN
I'm not a PC person, but on my Mac, I would get rid of explorer, including preferences, and iTunes and reinstall everything fresh.
Can't get rid of "Explore". It's part of Windows. It shows the entire contents of your computer by right clicking on the start button.
You see, I right clicked on the Properties of my iPhone, then told it not ot auto run or suto start. Now iPhone doesn't show up in Explore at all anymore.
I could uninstall/reinstall iTunes, but I don't want to risk losing all my songs, etc.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
There are two things you can do which are completely safe.

The first is the most simple, but easily overlooked.

1- Open iTunes, click your phone icon in the left column. On the screen that follows, make sure "automatically sync when this phone is connected" is checked.

The iPhone will not launch iTunes unless that check box is set to ON, ie Checked.

2- Reinstall iTunes. You may be prompted to "Repair" your installation. If this is the case, do so, it will restore your registry settings and any missing files. If it simply asks to Re-Install, do so, it will still inherit your library.

Good luck

Edit-

Also, when you plug in your iPhone you should hear 2 chimes. One for the phone, and one for the camera. What windows is prompting you for, is what you want to do with the pictures it's discovered on the camera.

Find the camera in your "My Computer" window, and right click it selecting Properties. Click the Auto-Play tab and pull the pulldown menu to Photos. From the list below select "Do Nothing" and click Apply/Ok.

I think this is what you already did, maybe I've helped clarify it for you if that's the case.

Anton1

Aug 5, 2011
I had the same problem. I unchecked the box requiring iTunes auto start and clicked apply. I then went back and clicked on the box. A window came saying iTunes would install iTunes helper. I clicked yes and apply and hey presto auto start started working! Hope that is clear. In short turn it off and on. Worked for me!