iTunes not detecting iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rethink

Oct 4, 2007
Any one know why iTunes is not detecting my iPhone. I want to restore my iPhone but iTunes will not detect it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Hey guys,

My iPhone, for some obscure reason won't appear in iTunes. I have tried loads of different things like reboot my mac, turn the phone on and off with it connected etc.. I just can't get it to work.

I launched iPhoto and it appears in there as a camera so my Mac is seeing it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Im guessing you have tried this - but:

iPhone Doesn’t Appear in iTunes
The iPhone battery might need to be recharged. For information about charging iPhone, see Charging the Battery.

Disconnect other USB devices from your computer and connect iPhone to a different USB 2.0 port on your computer (not on your keyboard).

Turn iPhone off and back on again. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPhone for a few seconds until a red slider appears, then drag the slider. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. Tap Unlock and enter your SIM’s PIN if the SIM is locked.

IMPORTANT: If you enter the PIN incorrectly three times, you may need to enter a Personal Unlocking Key (PUK) to enable your SIM card again. Refer to the SIM card documentation or contact your carrier.

Restart your computer and reconnect iPhone to your computer.

Download and install (or reinstall) the latest version of iTunes from www.apple.com/iTunes.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
By the way - that was lifted from the Apple site. Im not suggesting that you let your battery run out! ;)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've tried everything apart from reinstalling iTunes. I've never personally done it before, so I'm a little concerned over the possible side effects to all my music/album artwork/lyrics/applications etc etc..

I could always restore my phone on another computer and see if that helps?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
iNinja said:
How can you restore if iTunes doesn't "see" it? DFU restore?
I'll connect it to the Mrs's laptop :)

I'm still in complete confusion as to why my phone won't be recognized by my Mac :(

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
iPhonewarrior said:
I'll connect it to the Mrs's laptop :)

I'm still in complete confusion as to why my phone won't be recognized by my Mac :(
Doesn't iTunes have to have a service running constantly? I don't own a mac (sigh), but on windows it's mandatory.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Out of pure curiosity, how do I go about this?

I've never had to delete and reinstall iTunes. So as you can guess I'm a little worried, I don't fully uderstand what this will do to my music/apps etc etc.

Do I just download the latest iTunes and overwrite the one I have now?