iTunes not detecting iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by saige1r, Jun 24, 2010.

1. saige1r

saige1r Member
    Bronze

Hi all,

Last night I discovered that I needed to upgrade my first gen MacBook to use iTunes with my new iPhone. (I was a bit too excited about the new iPhone to read that I needed OS X 10.5.8 or later). Anyway, I go out and get the upgrade, install it and all of a sudden iTunes doesn't see my iPhone. I have iTunes 9.2 and a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.6. Before I upgraded the OS iTunes was telling me that I needed to upgrade in order to sync my iPhone.

I've tried rebooting my laptop, rebooting my iPhone, using a different USB and nothing works. Any suggestions? I'm dying here without my contacts. Also, I'm not sure if this would affect anything , but I was impatient last night and I synced my iPhone on my gf's vista laptop. It didn't get any of my contacts and so I wanted to go back to my trusty MacBook.

Thanks for looking and sorry for the long post.

2. staticzero

staticzero New Member

Same problem! i upgraded my phone so i thought i'd upgrade my macbook too... installed 10.6 and now iTunes wont detect my iPhone 4... wish i hadn't bothered now! ><

3. adamWHUbowden

adamWHUbowden New Member

My iPhone 4 has recently been coming up with this message 'cannot connect to iTunes' when I try to UPDATE my apps. But I have no idea the cause or how to cure it. I have several updates which I cannot accomplish. This only happens when I need to update! Please help! I tried making a new Apple account aswell. Waste of time. Any suggestions please? ...

4. Woofus

Woofus Member
    Silver

Few things I've done in the past:

1) Different USB port
    2) Different USB cable
    3) Uninstall/reinstall iTunes

Hopefully something will help... good luck.

5. adamWHUbowden

adamWHUbowden New Member

Thanks for the help but it happens on the actual iPhone not the computer ...

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

You can still try what woofus said, there's lots of discussions on the Internet about this issues, also try a different computer if you have access to it and see if that works

7. mattguy10

mattguy10 Member
    Bronze

Try signing out and back into your iTunes account from your phone.

Settings>Store>Sign Out

Try resetting the network settings on your phone.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

Try a hard reset: hold sleep/wake button and home button at the same time until the screen goes black and the Apple logo appears.

8. Squid028

Squid028 New Member

Can anyone tell me why after having my iPhone 4 and iTunes on the same pc for over 6 months that all of a sudden when I plug my phone in iTunes doesn't recognize it. It just says : This iPhone cannot be used because the Apple mobile device service is not started. I restarted my laptop 3 times and reset iPhone I was thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes next. Anyone else ever have this problem ?

9. Squid028

Squid028 New Member

iTunes not recognizing my phone

When I plug my phone into my pc I get this message: This iPhone cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device service is not started. I've had phone for 6 months, same laptop. Tried restarting laptop and resetting phone. Anyone else ever have this problem ?

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Try this:

1) open "run" from the start menu, and run "services.msc".
    2) find "Apple Mobile Device".
    3) In the "status" column it will tell you if the process is started or not, and the "startup type" column will tell you if the process will start automatically when windows starts. The goal here is to set the status to "started" and the startup type to "automatic".
    4)To do this right click on this process, and then click on "Properties"
    5) In the "general" tab find the "startup type" drop-down arrow menu and make sure "automatic" is selected. Select it if it is not.
    6) Also in the general tab check the "service status". If it does not say "started" then click the start button.
    7) at the bottom of the properties window click "apply"

11. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Do you have a Mac or a pc?

12. Squid028

Squid028 New Member

I have a pc

13. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Click the start button on your computer, type in services, click on it and then look for something that says Apple on it... Click it and it will say something about the service and push the start or on button and then try to sync again.

14. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I'm not home or I would be able to name tell you the exact things... Hope it helps anyways

15. Squid028

Squid028 New Member

I did everything and it got rid of the error message but it won't sync and my phone doesn't show up in the left hand column

16. Squid028

Squid028 New Member

With your help I was able to get rid of the error message. Now when I plug my phone in it doesn't auto sync or show up in the left hand column. I must of missed something

17. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Aight what you need to do is plug it up, hold the power and home button until it turns black and then let go of ONLY the power button. Keep ahold of the home button until it it pops up on your computer. Then you will probably have to do a restore...

18. Squid028

Squid028 New Member

Everything working like normal now. Thank You very much jcmitchell5. Gotta love EiC community.

19. Squid028

Squid028 New Member

Everything working fine now. Thank You very much acosmichippo. Love EiC community.

20. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Good to hear! I had the same problem on my friends iPad the other day and I called Apple and after they helped me they said that after that first call it would cost 29 dollars each call after 30 days of purchase. I don't know if it is the same for iPhone but it sounds like some crap to me!