iTunes Question About Storage & Hard Drive

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be such a bother, but I'm still having problems with my iTunes and lack of space on my computer's hard drive. As mentioned previously, I'm down to about 2GB of memory on the C drive, so I decided to move my music and videos from the internal hard drive to an external hard drive. I then took the forum's advice and went to Edit, Preferences, Advanced, and changed the location of where iTunes looks for my music and videos to the "F" drive which is the external drive. That works fine, but when I disconnect the external drive, the music and videos are still showing in my iTunes account w/o the "F" drive connected to the computer. I can't understand this because when I go to Explore and look at the "C" drive in my iTunes Music Folder, it's completely empty. My question is....if my iTunes Music Folder is empty, why is the music and videos still showing up in iTunes when I open it up ? Could it be that the music in iTunes is located in another file or folder ? I hope I'm making some sense. I must admit....that I'm not the most computer savvy person around. Thanks in advance. Cheers !

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be such a bother, but I'm still having problems with my iTunes and lack of space on my computer's hard drive. As mentioned previously, I'm down to about 2GB of memory on the C drive, so I decided to move my music and videos from the internal hard drive to an external hard drive. I then took the forum's advice and went to Edit, Preferences, Advanced, and changed the location of where iTunes looks for my music and videos to the "F" drive which is the external drive. That works fine, but when I disconnect the external drive, the music and videos are still showing in my iTunes account w/o the "F" drive connected to the computer. I can't understand this because when I go to Explore and look at the "C" drive in my iTunes Music Folder, it's completely empty. My question is....if my iTunes Music Folder is empty, why is the music and videos still showing up in iTunes when I open it up ? Could it be that the music in iTunes is located in another file or folder ? I hope I'm making some sense. I must admit....that I'm not the most computer savvy person around. Thanks in advance. Cheers !
The files remain listed in iTunes, but you won't be able to play them. I've found that when I've relocated files away from where iTunes thinks they are, the affected files will have an error mark of some type (? or i) which indicates a problem. I'm sure there are other ways of dealing with it, but I've taken the easy road and deleted the error marked files and re-added them to the library.

Another option is to leave the iTunes Music folder on your C drive, but greatly restrict what you add to iTunes. When you are done, delete from iTunes and say, yes, to add to recycle bin. I do this for my 100s of GB of movies. I store them on one external hard drive, and when I want to watch one, I'll import them into iTunes, watch it, and then remove it. iTunes will copy the file being imported to wherever location your Music folder is.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
The files remain listed in iTunes, but you won't be able to play them. I've found that when I've relocated files away from where iTunes thinks they are, the affected files will have an error mark of some type (? or i) which indicates a problem. I'm sure there are other ways of dealing with it, but I've taken the easy road and deleted the error marked files and re-added them to the library.

Another option is to leave the iTunes Music folder on your C drive, but greatly restrict what you add to iTunes. When you are done, delete from iTunes and say, yes, to add to recycle bin. I do this for my 100s of GB of movies. I store them on one external hard drive, and when I want to watch one, I'll import them into iTunes, watch it, and then remove it. iTunes will copy the file being imported to wherever location your Music folder is.

Thanks for the reply Eragon. I've noticed those error marks before and you're correct about the songs not playing. What we can't understand is when we delete all the music out of iTunes and connect the external "F" drive, why doesn't the music titles show up in iTunes and since they DON'T show up, how do you play the music ? Also, when we delete the music and videos from iTunes why aren't we gaining any additional space on our internal hard drive ? Thanks in advance. Cheers !

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
iTunes is not like Windows Explorer which updates on the fly. iTunes uses the library function and lists those files you add to the library whether the files still exist in the location they did originally or not. Think of it as a notepad document that lists the songs in a folder. If you move the songs out of the folder the notepad document will still show the songs even though they are not there. If you add other files into the folder the notepad document wont automatically add them to the list, you have to tell it to "Add to library".
As far as the space not returning after you delete them from within iTunes, are you getting the message that says "move to recycle bin" and telling iTunes to do that as well as emptying your recycle bin to delete the actual files? If your just deleting them from the library your basically just erasing them from the notepad document but not actually removing them from the folder.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks for the reply Eragon. I've noticed those error marks before and you're correct about the songs not playing. What we can't understand is when we delete all the music out of iTunes and connect the external "F" drive, why doesn't the music titles show up in iTunes and since they DON'T show up, how do you play the music ? Also, when we delete the music and videos from iTunes why aren't we gaining any additional space on our internal hard drive ? Thanks in advance. Cheers !
When you go into preferences/advanced, you will specify where you want your iTunes Music folder. I also have the next two checkboxes selected to keep the music together and copy files to music folder. Specify F:\. When you import files into iTunes, a hierarchy of folders will then be created on your F drive. Then, when you want to access the files from iTunes, make sure your drive is plugged in.

With regard to your C drive, you need to tell iTunes not to use your C drive for library storage. When you import a file into your library, iTune will copy the file from wherever that file is located, to the location specified under preferences. On your C drive, you will have a My Music folder. Inside this folder, you will find folders containing audiobooks, movies and music. You should be able to delete the files that you don't want in your iTunes library.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
iTunes is not like Windows Explorer which updates on the fly. iTunes uses the library function and lists those files you add to the library whether the files still exist in the location they did originally or not. Think of it as a notepad document that lists the songs in a folder. If you move the songs out of the folder the notepad document will still show the songs even though they are not there. If you add other files into the folder the notepad document wont automatically add them to the list, you have to tell it to "Add to library".
As far as the space not returning after you delete them from within iTunes, are you getting the message that says "move to recycle bin" and telling iTunes to do that as well as emptying your recycle bin to delete the actual files? If your just deleting them from the library your basically just erasing them from the notepad document but not actually removing them from the folder.
Thanks for the help, Griffinaz ! Much appreciated !

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
When you go into preferences/advanced, you will specify where you want your iTunes Music folder. I also have the next two checkboxes selected to keep the music together and copy files to music folder. Specify F:\. When you import files into iTunes, a hierarchy of folders will then be created on your F drive. Then, when you want to access the files from iTunes, make sure your drive is plugged in.

With regard to your C drive, you need to tell iTunes not to use your C drive for library storage. When you import a file into your library, iTune will copy the file from wherever that file is located, to the location specified under preferences. On your C drive, you will have a My Music folder. Inside this folder, you will find folders containing audiobooks, movies and music. You should be able to delete the files that you don't want in your iTunes library.
Thanks again for your help, Eragon ! Looking forward to trying these suggestions. Cheers !