iTunes sending info to Apple

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
I'm new here and I did search around a bit but I couldn't find anything so hopefully this subject hasn't been beaten to death.

I just got an iPhone 3GS about a week ago and every time I sync I get this message

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mbhQ9oxkQOfEY9TlRjQoeg?feat=directlink

basically I am wondering what information my phone is sending to Apple and why? I have been sending it however still making it ask me each time. I assume it is information how my phone is used so Apple takes everyone's into account when developing new products however I still hate sending information. Also would this cause problems if i were to ever jailbreak my phone or anything?

I've had a couple of iPods and never remember this however its very likley that I just hit ok the first time and never saw it again.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
sorry i added the link

I didn't have the picture thing worked out quite yet

give me a min

Attachments

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
there we go i attached it to the latter message

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
Thanks for the link. Still not sure though. I mean if they do get some useful product development info it seems like it might be worth it. I mean I'm an engineer and from my own standpoint I would like as much information as possible for development. On the other hand if they're just collecting information to advertise to me..... Then I could live without helping.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
They collect crash data and iPhone system problems. That's all that is sent. If they are collecting any other information, they have to disclose what information they are gathering.

Mar 2, 2009
California
They collect crash data and iPhone system problems. That's all that is sent. If they are collecting any other information, they have to disclose what information they are gathering.
That's the reason why syncs for some users are slow. I turned that option off and now all my syncs are done a lot faster than before.

I explained it all in one of my threads but no one has commented on it. :(

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
My syncs don't seem slow or anything. I guess I just have to decide whether or not to keep providing Apple this info although I am sure that if i do ever decide to jailbreak I will definitely turn it off. Thanks everyone.

Mar 2, 2009
California
My syncs don't seem slow or anything. I guess I just have to decide whether or not to keep providing Apple this info although I am sure that if i do ever decide to jailbreak I will definitely turn it off. Thanks everyone.
There's a folder located on your hard drive that contains crash information. As time goes on and this grows larger, it will take longer for your phone to sync because it will be sending all of the crash info over to Apple.

There have been times its taken as long as 20 minutes just for my phone to sync while no changes have been made. It's your decision though if you want to send that info to Apple or not.

Adron

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Georgia
really? where is this file located? can I just delete it periodically? Did my regular iPod do this too?

Mar 2, 2009
California
really? where is this file located? can I just delete it periodically? Did my regular iPod do this too?
Click the "show details" button and it will open the folder with all your crash files. If you remove everything contained in it, syncing will go faster. You can do this manually each time if you uncheck "don't ask me again" when you choose to sync your device.

I believe this goes for the iPod too.