iTunes SO slow on Windows?

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
I never used iTunes before my iPhone... always Winamp, which I love.

Now that I have to use iTunes for so much, I *HATE* the program. It is SOOO slow for me and switching between items on the left should be instant if not almost-instant. Is this a known windows issue with iTunes, or is it crap on the Mac too?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the windows application is pretty heavy... works ok on Mac, though.

what are the specs on your computer?

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
core 2 duo 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, forget video card but its not high end but also not lowest-end. It runs 1080p movies just fine.

I hate iTunes! :(

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah... shouldn't be an issue on that machine at all.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It's fine on a Mac from what I understand (I haven't asked my cousin about it yet) but I am also sharing the same frustrations with you toward iTunes on Windows. It was bad enough as it was in 7, but this is ridiculous. There's no practical reason it should be locking up every time it turns around; my only guess is that the iTunes for Windows team just doesn't know how to write a Windows application.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm am running Windows XP with 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon 64 3400+, and an Nvidia GeForce 7600GS 512MB video card.

iTunes 8.0 runs pretty good, although it is a resource hog. Switching between the App Store, the iPhone, Applications and other things on iTunes - I do have a little lag but nothing to cry about.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I got the same problem too. But when I go to the Apple store and play with a mac book, iTunes flies! I don't know if it's Apples way of making you hate PCs more?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I doubt it's intentional. They're just trying to apply a custom GUI in Windows without knowing all the performance tricks, thereby introducing all sorts of bugs, glitches, slowdowns, etc.

It'd be like Microsoft trying to mirror the Office 2007 interface down to the last pixel on Mac OS X using an intern to port the code over whose only experience is being able to do a Google search. They could get it done like that, but it'd be slow and buggy.

In my opinion, they should really just give in and rewrite it with .NET; they went from their own object-oriented, frameworked development system, to hand-coding everything in an unfamiliar environment, and it turned out badly.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I doubt it's intentional. They're just trying to apply a custom GUI in Windows without knowing all the performance tricks, thereby introducing all sorts of bugs, glitches, slowdowns, etc.

It'd be like Microsoft trying to mirror the Office 2007 interface down to the last pixel on Mac OS X using an intern to port the code over whose only experience is being able to do a Google search. They could get it done like that, but it'd be slow and buggy.

In my opinion, they should really just give in and rewrite it with .NET; they went from their own object-oriented, frameworked development system, to hand-coding everything in an unfamiliar environment, and it turned out badly.
Yeah the custom looks don't play well with windows if you don't know what your doing.

I can't see them doing it in .NET though - :p