iTunes splits albums?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
In more than a few cases, I've added MP3s to iTunes and despite having identical album tags, iTunes insists on splitting the album into two or three identical albums. Has anyone seen this behavior and know how to fix it? I've set every tag I can access to the same identical values (except the song title, of course) to no avail.

This is the Windows iTunes.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Joe, in iTunes, highlight all the songs that should be on the same album - right click - get info - put a check mark in compilation.

There have been times that my tunes got all screwed up and thats what fixed it.

Hope it helps and if not- maybe someone else can provide a different answer.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Never mind, I figured it out. Here's the deal for anyone else that runs into this.

There's a tag called "Album Artist". THAT is what iTunes looks for. Select all of the songs, right click, and choose "Get Info". Edit the Album Artist and the Album Name and save it. They should all be in the same album afterwards.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Joe, in iTunes, highlight all the songs that should be on the same album - right click - get info - put a check mark in compilation.

There have been times that my tunes got all screwed up and thats what fixed it.

Hope it helps and if not- maybe someone else can provide a different answer.

Well, a compilation is an album of songs from different artists, right? I'm referring to an album of songs from the SAME artist.

In my case, the Album Names were "Eagles" and "The Eagles".

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Well, a compilation is an album of songs from different artists, right? I'm referring to an album of songs from the SAME artist.

In my case, the Album Names were "Eagles" and "The Eagles".
Joe, me too.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Never mind, I figured it out. Here's the deal for anyone else that runs into this.

There's a tag called "Album Artist". THAT is what iTunes looks for. Select all of the songs, right click, and choose "Get Info". Edit the Album Artist and the Album Name and save it. They should all be in the same album afterwards.

Thanks this is great info, I now HAD the same problem.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
One other thing - sometimes, even when you set all of the tags the same, iTunes still refuses to merge them together. In that case, delete them from the library and re-import.