iTunes sucks at restoring from backups

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
How come even when I backup my phone to my computer, when I restore from a backup I still have to DOWNLOAD ALL MY APPS? Don't they get backed up to my Mac when I back the phone up? I should be able to restore from a backup, and when it's finished, all my apps are there. This infuriates an impatient person like myself!
/end rant

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
How come even when I backup my phone to my computer, when I restore from a backup I still have to DOWNLOAD ALL MY APPS? Don't they get backed up to my Mac when I back the phone up? I should be able to restore from a backup, and when it's finished, all my apps are there. This infuriates an impatient person like myself!
/end rant
I'm not sure what you mean. I just restored from a backup last night and all my apps were installed. It took a while, but they all installed.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
/end rant
Are you using iTunes backups or iCloud backups? It shouldn't do this if you use iTunes backups.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Are you using iTunes backups or iCloud backups? It shouldn't do this if you use iTunes backups.
I use both. My last two backups were iTunes backups. Then I restored from the last iTunes b/u, and still had to wait for my apps to download. Jack mad!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I use both. My last two backups were iTunes backups. Then I restored from the last iTunes b/u, and still had to wait for my apps to download. Jack mad!
Did you mean you had to wait for them to install? That's normal even if you restore in iTunes.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So, when it shows that it's finished restoring, the apps are still installing?
Yeah, restoring will remove all of your apps and requires reinstallation after setup. Installation times vary depending on the size and number of apps you have.