iTunes sucks- permissions crap

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
ok so I PURCHASED a BB King album and a Son Seals album. Music downloaded fine. However, now I can't get this music into any other format like mp3 or a windows like file. I want to put it on my external harddrive for LATER listening pleasure. I do not want it kept in iTunes on my actual laptop. I have so much music I could NEVER keep it all on my laptop on iTunes.

Any suggestions? I'm not doing anything illegal here I don't think... I purchased the music I just want it in another type file whereni don't have to jump through such idiotic bullshit hoops! If I can't figure this crap out, I'm done with iTunes. Jesus Christ what a headache this is...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
First off your aren't doing anything illegal.
Can't you just drag the music to your hard drive and then change the extension to mp3? It might ask are you sure you want to do this, but it would be just like changing the extension to make a ringtone.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
First off your aren't doing anything illegal.
Can't you just drag the music to your hard drive and then change the extension to mp3? It might ask are you sure you want to do this, but it would be just like changing the extension to make a ringtone.
are you kidding me? If it is really that simple, then I'm a dumbass. I didn't even think of trying that but remember that its downloaded into some crazy protected format...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I just took an iTunes purchased song and put it on the desktop.
I changed the extension and it wouldn't play in iTunes but did play in quicktime. It has been weeks since I have had my PC fired up but I think these would play in media player or winamp or whatever. Make a copy of a song and give it a try.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I just took an iTunes purchased song and put it on the desktop.
I changed the extension and it wouldn't play in iTunes but did play in quicktime. It has been weeks since I have had my PC fired up but I think these would play in media player or winamp or whatever. Make a copy of a song and give it a try.
They are in .m4p format and will NOT work when changed to mp3 or .wav

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
They are in .m4p format and will NOT work when changed to mp3 or .wav
Well crap. I got it to play with quicktime, but that is all I have besides iTunes on the mac.
That is a bunch of garbage that you can't do what you want with something that you have bought.
Edit: The song I tried was a .m4a. Just noticed that some are .m4a and some are .m4p. Don't know what the difference is.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
iTunes files have DRM (digital rights management) that prevent digital copying. This is, in my opinion, one of the major drawbacks to buying from iTunes and the main reason I don't do it. I want to do be able to do whatever I want with the files I bought, including the possibility of transferring them to media players that do not support DRM.

If I were you, I would not feel bad using P2P to download copies of the music you've already paid for.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Then there's that. Doh, completely forgot! :D

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I found a solution. Burn it to a cd then pull the music back off the cd and then it is "open" to change
That is a PIA. I got pissed when I could not make a ringtone in Garageband from an iTunes purchased song. I do not think I will be purchasing music on iTunes much anymore. It is convenient to purchase on iTunes, but when you buy music you should be able to move it around, if you like!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, trust me, music industry professionals hate DRM as a whole. It does not protect the artists.