iTunes sync error 0xE8000004 installing large apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by fury, Oct 1, 2013.

1. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I've been running into this problem trying to install large apps onto the phone from iTunes:

The app was not installed on the iPhone because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000004).

Screen shot 2013-10-01 at 8.57.43 AM.png

Infinity Blade 3
    Modern Combat 4
    Horn

Each of these 3 games is over 2 GB according to iTunes, which seems to be the one thing in common. I don't know why the phone can install them when iTunes can't, but suffice it to say, I didn't want to wait on my slow wifi connection to redownload the whole thing over again.

I just got off the phone with Apple technical support, and they pointed me to the Apple Configurator. I can't use that utility, because it requires me to downgrade from Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.8, so here's the steps I took to install a large app to the phone:

1. Install iPhone Configuration Utility for Mac or Windows. Select Applications from the library sidebar.

Screen shot 2013-10-01 at 8.36.29 AM.png

2. For any apps that won't install via iTunes, locate the app's .IPA file on your computer (usually iTunes Media \ Mobile Applications -- you can right-click it in the iTunes Apps library and show in finder/explorer)

Whether you have the sidebar, it might look like one of the following:

Screen shot 2013-10-01 at 8.38.57 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-10-01 at 8.39.32 AM.png

You should arrive at a list of .IPA files like so:

Screen shot 2013-10-01 at 9.04.38 AM.png

3. Drag the .IPA file from the folder to the iPhone Configuration Utility window, in the upper half of the applications section.

It will lock up and look like it's doing nothing. Give it a moment to process the app.

4. Once you see the app you want in the iPhone Configuration Utility window (refer back to the screenshot at step 1), go to your device in the sidebar, to the Applications tab. Scroll down in the list until you find the one you want to install. Keep in mind that it may not necessarily be named the same thing that it would show on the store - you can check back at the applications section of the sidebar to see what name it shows. In the case of Infinity Blade, for instance, it calls it SwordGame.

Screen shot 2013-10-01 at 8.48.00 AM.png

5. Hit the Install button. It'll sit there and look at you funny for a while, while it installs the app on your device. It won't show any progress bar or anything, either on the computer or on the phone, just give it a moment...

2013-10-01 08.49.49.png

6. After it's done, it will instantly pop in and you should be good to go!

2013-10-01 08.51.27.png

Simple as that. You'd think they'd just split up iTunes into several little utilities like this that just work, instead of trying to glom everything onto one application that never works.

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I just discovered a big caveat to this method of installing: the App Store doesn't recognize it so it won't offer you updates to it. It presents a cloud icon indicating that you have yet to download it. When you tap it, it'll then download from the store all over again, and that appears to be the only way to get the App Store to recognize and offer updates. At which point you might as well have bit the bullet and hung out at Starbucks long enough to sip from the great font of wifi and get the app installed that way in the first place. The approach I outlined in the original post is only effective if you never expect to be able to download the app via wifi on the phone. This is the trade off I'll have to make for now, as I don't have a wifi connection at my new home, and it's not like I can download updates over the cellular network anyway.