iTunes syncing problems... Getting REALLY mad

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dylanj04

Aug 25, 2011
iPhone 4, 32gb, rogers, ios 5, latest iTunes.
I have 16gb free space on my phone.

I'm trying to put an album on my iPhone (RHCP greatest hits) and I put it in my iTunes library, hit sync, and when its done I check my phone, and its got like 6 random tracks from that album but not the whole album! I've tried atleast 15 times, deleting, re-adding etc, and nothing. I've tried syncing over WIFI, and USB, still nothing. I've tried using the manually manage option too, and still nothing, just 6 random tracks... I'm getting super mad here... iTunes is starting to make me want to jump ship here...

I had this whole album on my iPhone about 2 days ago and last time I plugged in my phone, it synced, and erased half of it, it actually started erasing some songs off different albums as well...

Settings are:
Sync entire music library
Sync this phone over WIFI

Please help!

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Yes, thats whats puzzling me... They are all in iTunes, and all 16 of the tracks are checked. they all play fine in iTunes as well.
Hmmm. And it even happens when you sync with USB. You definitely have a glitch. Sounds like it is with iTunes. You could hard reset the iPhone, but sounds like you might have to try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Windows or Mac?
Edit: It is a PITA, so always a last resort for me.

Dylanj04

Aug 25, 2011
Hmmm. And it even happens when you sync with USB. You definitely have a glitch. Sounds like it is with iTunes. You could hard reset the iPhone, but sounds like you might have to try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Windows or Mac?
Edit: It is a PITA, so always a last resort for me.
Windows Vista, 64 bit.

Im assuming that means i'll have to re-add all my music into iTunes?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Windows Vista, 64 bit.

Im assuming that means i'll have to re-add all my music into iTunes?
No. Your library will remain on file, and the new install will find that library. Never hurts to back up your library - as with all things - if you have a larger enough external.

Dylanj04

Aug 25, 2011
No. Your library will remain on file, and the new install will find that library. Never hurts to back up your library - as with all things - if you have a larger enough external.
Is it automatically backed up? and will I have to point iTunes to that library when I reinstall it?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Is it automatically backed up? and will I have to point iTunes to that library when I reinstall it?
It is not automatically backed up. But it should remain in your files when you delete iTunes, and the new version will find it automatically. You can find it by going to C>users>your user name>my music>iTunes

Dylanj04

Aug 25, 2011
It is not automatically backed up. But it should remain in your files when you delete iTunes, and the new version will find it automatically. You can find it by going to C>users>your user name>my music>iTunes
Do I just drag and drop that folder into iTunes then?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Do I just drag and drop that folder into iTunes then?
Nope. Don't do a thing, unless you choose to back up that file to an external drive just for safekeeping. Just uninstall and reinstall iTunes and iTunes will look for it in that location. It would set up that file if it didn't exist, but since it is there iTunes will just connect with it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm trying to put an album on my iPhone (RHCP greatest hits) and I put it in my iTunes library, hit sync, and when its done I check my phone, and its got like 6 random tracks from that album but not the whole album!
Please help!
I just got the the 4s and when I set it up everything went fine except for the fact that it only synced half my music. Was driving me crazy as I've had all five phones and setup has always been a breeze.
Here's what worked and it makes no sense at all. Go into the iTunes main library and get info on one song of the album. See if "part of a compilation" is checked or not. If it is checked as part of a compilation, highlight all songs and uncheck it. If its not checked, highlight all songs and check it. Now sync. This put all my songs back on the phone.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I just got the the 4s and when I set it up everything went fine except for the fact that it only synced half my music. Was driving me crazy as I've had all five phones and setup has always been a breeze.
Here's what worked and it makes no sense at all. Go into the iTunes main library and get info on one song of the album. See if "part of a compilation" is checked or not. If it is checked as part of a compilation, highlight all songs and uncheck it. If its not checked, highlight all songs and check it. Now sync. This put all my songs back on the phone.
Nice find. I will remember that. Saved a lot of work. Sounds like it just acted as kind of a reset. You said you were missing songs from other albums. Did that work for all of them?

Dylanj04

Aug 25, 2011
Glad you got it resolved. It can get irritating sometimes. :)
Actually thats not working for me...... I un-installed and reinstalled iTunes and that didn't fix it so I just downloaded a different RHCP torrent and it worked fine (which is weird because they were both "mp3 format sound") but theres another album thats only got a few songs syncing and that solution didn't work...

Dylanj04

Aug 25, 2011
Selecting the "part of a compilation" for the album deletes the album off my iPhone... unchecking it again puts the album back on, but just another random 6 tracks...

Dylanj04

Aug 25, 2011
I got it to sync. I just re-added the album to iTunes and it synced properly. I don't understand why it wouldn't sync in the first place though...

Nov 19, 2012
Sometimes If you make sure that the Album artist is also filled in Your Ipod/iPhone will be able to sync it correctly. It may be sorting them in different places.