iTunes thinks my phone is synced with multiple computers after reinstall

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 23, 2011
Austin, Texas
I reinstalled my OS and iTunes on my computer a couple months ago. I forgot about iTunes before I erased everything. Luckily I hadn't bought any songs/movies directly on the phone so I didn't have to worry about getting those off of my phone back into iTunes, but when I plugged it in, it said something about my phone/account already being linked to another computer and I think that I could only have up to 5. So I now only have 3 left even though the 2 in use are the same computer. Is there anyway to fix that? Also does anyone have a link to a good walk through on how to backup iTunes before re-installing so I don't mess it up next time?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
As you wiped your system clean and reinstalled your OS, iTunes probably views it as a new computer. I don't think there is much you can do about that. As far as backing up iTunes for moving it to another computer or a restored OS, there should be a file in your "documents folder" name "iTunes. That file contains (if done properly) all your music folders, play lists, album artwork, and Apps. Simply copy the folder to an external drive, CD, DVD etc. and restore it back to your new OS when the time comes.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
There is a spot in your account in iTunes to remove the associated computers.

Go to store, click your account at the top, you'll see associated computers and you can deauthorize all, then redo it to authorize the one you're using.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
In iTunes, under the store tab at the top, it's towards the bottom of that menu.

And welcome! :)

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!