iTunes Update = Outlook sync problem for iPhone

iPhoneHome

Jul 10, 2007
Hi all,

I've been able to sync fine with outlook for my calendar and contacts. But after I installed the latest iTunes, my outlook stopped syncing w. iPhone. iTunes would show that its syncing but no changes made on my pc was transfered to iPhone. :(

I checked the com add-ins and only one Apple add-in is now present. No way of finding the other "outlook iTunes sync add-in file" anywhere in my computer. New iTunes update deleted.

Anyone shed some light for me. Thanks. :oops:

nicholas

Aug 6, 2007
Just updated to the latest iTunes and it has deleted all of my recurring meetings in Outlook.

Not good if I am to be at all of my meetings on time. Damn you iPhone!

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
iPhonehome, i had a similar problem, i was able to sync calendars but nt contacts even though it said it was synching contacts. Apple told me to reset the sync history and then it worked. In iTunes, go to Edit, preferences, iPhone, then click on reset sync history. Hope that works

iFun Girl

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Since I installed the iTunes update, I, too, cannot sync with Outlook. iTunes is insisting Outlook is not my default mail client....when indeed it is! This is pretty frustrating. My phone worked beautifully up until this update.

I've decided to heed the above device, and unfortunately it didn't work, at least for me. Here's hoping someone else had better luck.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Damn, the same thing happened to me! All reocurring items like everyone's birthdays got deleted from my Outlook calendar. I am not sure if this is an iPhone issue or a damn iTunes issue. What a damn crock!

iFun Girl

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Well interestingly enough I got it resolved, but it was really quirky.

Before I did anything drastic I went to check Outlook to make sure that the box was checked for Outlook to be the default mail client. It was (I had checked several times, actually). Tried syncing again. No luck. It wouldn't delete anything, it just wouldn't sync from my PC to the phone.

Then I uninstalled iTunes. Rebooted the PC. Re-installed iTunes 7.3.1 (probably not the smartest thing to do...kids don't try this at home!) Tried syncing again. No luck. Then I opened Outlook. I get a box saying that Outlook is not my default mail client. What?! Now I'm utterly confused because I know it was set as such before. It asks if I want to set it as my default....I hit "yes" and now everything syncs great.

In the future I will be reluctant to install any iTunes updates just for "bug fixes."

iPhoneHome

Jul 10, 2007
so angry! :mad:

I've tried everything. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and outlook. Damn updates. Thanks for nothing.

iFun Girl

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
I read in another forum that it could be as simple as a quickie check. Meaning, make sure your phone and PC are on the same time zone. I previously had mine set to Houston, so I corrected the time zone on the iPhone under settings-general-date & time-calendar and make sure your Time Zone Support is set to "on" and make sure you're using the correct time zone.

Not sure if this makes much of a difference, but I'd try it...you never know. I hope this resolves it for you.

Jul 11, 2007
Well interestingly enough I got it resolved, but it was really quirky.

Before I did anything drastic I went to check Outlook to make sure that the box was checked for Outlook to be the default mail client. It was (I had checked several times, actually). Tried syncing again. No luck. It wouldn't delete anything, it just wouldn't sync from my PC to the phone.

Then I uninstalled iTunes. Rebooted the PC. Re-installed iTunes 7.3.1 (probably not the smartest thing to do...kids don't try this at home!) Tried syncing again. No luck. Then I opened Outlook. I get a box saying that Outlook is not my default mail client. What?! Now I'm utterly confused because I know it was set as such before. It asks if I want to set it as my default....I hit "yes" and now everything syncs great.

In the future I will be reluctant to install any iTunes updates just for "bug fixes."
How do you get an older version of iTunes (7.3.1)? I think I may want to try and go back to the previous version.

iFun Girl

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
How do you get an older version of iTunes (7.3.1)? I think I may want to try and go back to the previous version.
I still had the original setup exe file on my desktop. There's no guarantee that will work either, so do so at your own risk. I hope that it does! :)

Another thing I was considering....if you're on windows, conduct a system restore (on the PC...not the phone) and set the date prior to installing the iTunes update, if that makes sense.

Jul 11, 2007
Thanks! Smart of you to keep the previous version. Hopefully a fix for this will be available soon.

jfeiner

Aug 14, 2007
Since I installed the iTunes update, I, too, cannot sync with Outlook. iTunes is insisting Outlook is not my default mail client....when indeed it is! This is pretty frustrating. My phone worked beautifully up until this update.

I've decided to heed the above device, and unfortunately it didn't work, at least for me. Here's hoping someone else had better luck.
That's exactly what happened to me. Not sure which fix I want to try. To get it to work in the first place before the latest upgrade was to go to My Computer, Properties, Advance Tab, Performance Settings, Data Execution Prevention tab and clicked the circle "Turn on DEP for all programs except..." and Browsed to iTunes and Microsoft Outlook and added them.

That was a reach gotten off of a forum so I'm reluctant to do much more. Not sure why it's suggesting this default thing when it is the default.

If anyone gets a fix please email me or post it. It worked so great before the upgrade.