iTunes update server crash?

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I go to install the latest version and my iPhone is displaying a restore message indicating it needs to connect to iTunes. When I click the restore button in iTunes I get the "iPhone software update server could not be contacted." I had someone else try it and they get the same message. My phone is bricked until I can restore it. (my phone is not hacked) anyone else having problems?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Make sure that you don't have a firewall active on your PC or router.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There are a ton of people attempting to update right now; it's just like slow activation n iDay. Just wait until later, and the servers will be back up.

- John

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
yep no changes there... everyone in the office can't access this. we don't block this. just stopped working. does it work for you? I can't even use the check for update button.

Make sure that you don't have a firewall active on your PC or router.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
If your on OSX try using software update to get the new iTunes. Dosent work with the iPhone update though.:(

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Any one have an ip or hostname of the update server so I can check the firewall or see if our network has connectivity to it? I swear it's got to be down though.

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
now it works. they must be having some heavy traffic.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Just going to Apple homepage and trying to watch clips of new products is a nightmare. There is just too much traffic.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
It took a while for 7.6 to download for me. Then iTunes didn't want to recognize my phone so I had to restore. Then I kept getting an error when trying to go to 1.1.3, bummer but I'm sure there is a ton of traffic now.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
It took a while for 7.6 to download for me. Then iTunes didn't want to recognize my phone so I had to restore. Then I kept getting an error when trying to go to 1.1.3, bummer but I'm sure there is a ton of traffic now.
that's where I am now -- I don't udnerstand what the busy has to do with it. iTunes and the software upgrade downloaded fine. I then hit the button to Update and it went into the error message (2001) and said I had to restore and update. Everytime I try that I just keep getting the same errror.

This has happened every damn time there has been an update. Anad no I haven't touched my phone with any hack, mod, nothing. Hot as struck match, right now......

What to try next?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
took me 30 minutes to download I thought it was slow myself.. I tunes is busy today

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Everything is slow today. Upgrading iTunes, upgrading the iPhone, Apple's website (which is usually quite speedy), etc.

- John

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I tried again and it worked, but it was still slow. ANd my first order of businesss was to put iCafe on my home page :)

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
are ya'll saying that even after you have the new iTunes and the new 1.1.3 downloaded to your Mac, that it is still slow as far as waiting on something central to happen? I keep getting error messages every time I try to restore and have called Apple 7-8 times and can't get by the recordings and keep getting bumped off before talking to a human -- worst service on phone ever from them.

This has happened to me with every update.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It's alright. Welcome to the site, by the way!

- John