iTunes & User Accounts

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Jimmyjade, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Hoping for some help with user accounts & iTunes. I have an iMac with Lion & my wife and I have separate user accounts. I set up iTunes to use the same iTunes Music folder in a Shared folder that we can both access. The problem is that when I update apps, download books, music or audiobooks, these don't show up for my wife in her user account in iTunes. If we are sharing the folder, why isn't the iTunes music folder updating for both of us to use? Please help! My wife is ready to shoot me:) Thanks.

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

sounds like each account is using a different iTunes library file (.itl) despite having media in the same folder.

Go into each user account, and open your applications folder. Hold "option" and double click iTunes. It will ask you to choose a library. Navigate to the shared folder and choose the .itl file in there (assuming that's where it is). Doing this for both accounts will ensure they are using and updating the same .itl file.

Then try changing some stuff around and see if it gets updated in the other account.

3. Joedogg

Joedogg Member
    Bronze

Not to get off topic, but does anybody know the best way to fill in missing art work in iTunes

4. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Thanks acosmichippo. I was just using the folder; not the .itl file. I will give that a try tonight.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

and before you do it, you may want to make a backup up that .itl file. Like put a copy on your desktop or something, just in case anything weird happens.

6. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Should I expect something "weird" to happen?:)

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

You never expect anything weird to happen. But you always plan against it.