iTunes Version 7.4 Available

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Downloaded and installed. The only difference is it now has a Ringtones tab. No difference on the iPhone itself. This is a pretty stupid concept that I have to pay a dollar for a 30 second snippet of a song that I already paid a dollar for. It doesn't even look that obvious how to make a ringtone. Maybe I'm just slow.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Downloaded and installed. The only difference is it now has a Ringtones tab. No difference on the iPhone itself. This is a pretty stupid concept that I have to pay a dollar for a 30 second snippet of a song that I already paid a dollar for. It doesn't even look that obvious how to make a ringtone. Maybe I'm just slow.
Na i cant figure it out either. Only thing i see is the new ringtone tab but no other info on what the hell to do.

There is also a "Transfer purchases FROM iPhone" under the file menu. Not sure if that was there before or not

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Also, go to File -> Transfer Purchases From "XXX iPhone"

Looks like a conduit from the mobile iTunes music store. Maybe they're releasing an iPhone update soon? Probably the reason why we can't do anything with the new iTunes yet.

Domin8stang

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Na i cant figure it out either. Only thing i see is the new ringtone tab but no other info on what the hell to do.

There is also a "Transfer purchases FROM iPhone" under the file menu. Not sure if that was there before or not

thats because they are going to let us buy music on the iPhone now, so it would let you then reverse transfer the songs to your comp from the phone...

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Warning****

Although I don't have any hacked ringtones on my iPhone, it's appearing that iTunes will remove any ringtones that you haven't purchased through iTunes every time you sync the iPhone.
I just updated iTunes to 7.4 and synced and did not lose any ringtones.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Anyone figure out how to actually download a ring tone yet? I know that songs that can be used as ring tones are supposed to have a bell icon next to them, but I looked this morning and didn't see a single bell anywhere.

Rumpelgeist

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
ummmm i just downloaded 7.4 and no ringtones tab or anything diff am I missing something? ok I see the ringtones tab in the sync bar but not on the left side like it shows in the stills from the presser?

Sep 1, 2007
The ringtone feature will be available later in the week he said. Also if u already purchased the song on iTunes u do not have to buy it again just pay the 99 cents for the ringtone. If not u need to buy it for 99 then 99 to make it a ringtone. That's 1.98 for a song and a ringtone when everyother carrier charges 2.95 for just a ringtone not to bad to me

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
i agree most of us don't want to hack our phones and to pay 99 or 1.98 for a ringtone( depending on if u own the tone or not) is not that big a deal. Especially when the average carrier/phone it costs 2.50! At most I will put a few ringtones on my phone which will end up costing me less than 10 anyway!

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
You're missing the point. We have a $600 smartphone (now valued at $400) with a file system, syncing capabilities, dual wireless, and a slew of media options. Apple has gone WAY out of their way to make sure we can't transfer some tones that we legally own and make them ringtones. This is pure greed. My old Sony Ericsson S710a could receive songs from my laptop via Bluetooth, save them into memory, and use them for whatever I wanted. I own the song. I own the 30 seconds already. I own the phone. I'm not paying some extra money every time I want to make a ringtone.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
i agree most of us don't want to hack our phones and to pay 99 or 1.98 for a ringtone( depending on if u own the tone or not) is not that big a deal. Especially when the average carrier/phone it costs 2.50! At most I will put a few ringtones on my phone which will end up costing me less than 10 anyway!
The point is doubly (sp) missed. If I already purchased the physical CD why is it that I have to now pay to use the song on the device? Also, as it appears based on how it was presented, not all songs can be tones! What the hell is that about? Oh, and there is the 600$ smart phone thing too.

Actually if I understand this correctly I could actually compose my own song and NOT be able to use it as a ring tone. There is something seriously wrong with that, other then the fact that I can not compose anything.....

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Also what about someone like me who HATES music for a ring tone or anything that sounds like a jingle. Hence i HATE EVERY ringtone on the stock iPhone. I have a crank ringtone (like from the movie) a CTU ringtone (from 24) and a standard just ring (not an old phone, nothing fancy) I use crank for my friends, CTU for work and the standard for everything else. I would NEVER use a "song" for a ringtone so this really sucks for me. I will have no use for this option unless I can find songs with phones ringing in them and crop out the song and use the ringtone. I think it sucks that we can only use the iTunes music and not just any MP3 we own. This is lame