iTunes WiFi Store - Songs don't downloading properly?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I have a 1.1.1 iPhone that is jailbreaked and working perfectly except I noticed that if I try to buy a song in iTunes WiFi it asks me for my password, then drops it into the download icon and I can see it actually download the entire song. However, it then pauses for a while on 'Finishing'.

Then I get a popup telling me that it was unable to download the song and to download it on my computer - which I'm able to do by doing 'Check for purchases' in iTunes.

However, I would like to still be able to buy tracks on the go. Anybody know what could be causing this? Maybe some third party app or Installer is conflicting with this? I don't remember having any problems prior to Jailbreak/Installer.

If you are NOT having any problems whatsoever, please post what 3rd party apps you have installed so I can figure out if it's something I installed that's causing the problem.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
This happened to me about a 1/2 hr ago, but I just tapped on it (song) a couple of time and it finished.
Weird, so you just kept tapping on it until it worked? I guess maybe I didn't tap enough times?

Did you do anything else or just keep tapping?

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Thanks a lot, I just tried it and after tapping the failed download 3-4 times it seems to actually finish. I can live with this for sure.

Cheers.

UPDATE: Looks like it's not all roses...although the song shows up and plays on the iPhone, I can't get it to sync back to my desktop on iTunes now. Any ideas?!?!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks a lot, I just tried it and after tapping the failed download 3-4 times it seems to actually finish. I can live with this for sure.

Cheers.

UPDATE: Looks like it's not all roses...although the song shows up and plays on the iPhone, I can't get it to sync back to my desktop on iTunes now. Any ideas?!?!
Didn't you say you already downloaded it via iTunes on the PC side? If so that is probably the issue.

--
Mike

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Didn't you say you already downloaded it via iTunes on the PC side? If so that is probably the issue.

--
Mike
No...so after spending $6 buying songs to test this out...it turns out that you do in fact have to keep tapping to get the download to complete although the .m4p is downloaded in the /var/root/Media/Downloads/ folder. I actually make backups of the .m4p files this way using WinSCP while messing around. It downloads 3 files per song, a .jpg (artwork) a .m4p (song itself) and manifest is updated with track info. This happens right after the song is downloaded.

It seems "finishing" is basically moving the .jpg and .m4p from Downloads to Purchases and creating an .xml file with the track info. The files sit in Purchases until you manually right click on your iPhone in iTunes and select Transfer Purchases. Then they are moved over to the PC and that folder is deleted.

IF you download a song and it gives you the error when finishing...you can go to your PC - hit 'Check for purchases' and download it there. But then, it will disappear from your iPhone iTunes Wifi.

Anyway, i think I have it figured out. Still trying to figure out why the jailbreak causes the error and needs you to retry a few times to get it to work...will report if I find out. Thanks.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It seems "finishing" is basically moving the .jpg and .m4p...
Hmmm, m4p--I wonder if that track is in iTunes Plus.

I am not buying any more DRM-protected tracks, and I noticed there is no way to tell when browsing on the iPhone itself which version you will get.

I sure hope Apple hasn't locked out non-DRM'd tracks from the iPhone.

--
Mike