iTunes WiFi Store

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
Ok, so I have always thought that there should be a way to buy iTunes songs on the go...and tada, Apple came through. Now my question is, as iPhone users, that have access to an edge network, why can we only access this amazing iTunes store (when it is released) through wifi? Why can't we just do it through the edge network? Is there some kind of problem with the type of data that would be coming into the phone?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that it has to do with the fact that EDGE is AT&T's network, something required for it is not accessible via EDGE, or something to do with EDGE connecting to your bill.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Ok, so I have always thought that there should be a way to buy iTunes songs on the go...and tada, Apple came through. Now my question is, as iPhone users, that have access to an edge network, why can we only access this amazing iTunes store (when it is released) through wifi? Why can't we just do it through the edge network? Is there some kind of problem with the type of data that would be coming into the phone?
The slow experience with edge would turn many people off. I can only imagine how long it would take to download an entire album over edge...

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY

You want the real answer? EDGE is so freaking slow as it is, can you imagine 10k people downloading a song at the same time?!?! It would take out there servers in seconds! It can't handle the bandwidth of a few people surfing the web, forget about downloading!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
EDGE is great for loading non-intensive web sites, mail, stocks, etc., but not fast enough to make downloading songs feasible. Besides, downloading a song while moving on a cell network is probably not the best idea to ensure your song finishes downloading. Now if only I could sync over WiFi...

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
You want the real answer? EDGE is so freaking slow as it is, can you imagine 10k people downloading a song at the same time?!?! It would take out there servers in seconds! It can't handle the bandwidth of a few people surfing the web, forget about downloading!

Take out what servers? Apple is more than well equipped to handle the bandwidth of hundreds of million computers, why do you think a slow edge connection would wipe them out? If you are referring to ATT being "wiped" out then I would think again as they have millions using edge before iPhone came around.

The real issue with edge is not the actually speed, but the response time which is HORRIBLE. If the response time was just cut in half we would see a huge difference.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Take out what servers? Apple is more than well equipped to handle the bandwidth of hundreds of million computers, why do you think a slow edge connection would wipe them out? If you are referring to ATT being "wiped" out then I would think again as they have millions using edge before iPhone came around.

The real issue with edge is not the actually speed, but the response time which is HORRIBLE. If the response time was just cut in half we would see a huge difference.
mmm..I believe he means ATTs servers.. Edge is not owned by Apple ....