ive always wondered if this really helped battery life

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
i remember people use to say that if you left your ipod while the song was the middle of playing it had to remember the songs place so it drained more battery. is this at all true? and if so does the same apply for the iPhone?

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
No I don't think so. I think when you're not in an application, and at the home screen it's not draining the battery. If you look closely, the battery is gray, but when you're using the ipod it's green. When it's green that's when you're using an app. When it's gray, i think that's more the standby mode.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
not true at all. basically just like a computer in suspend mode. The information is on 'hold' and consumes no more power with information in the memory as opposed to when it is empty.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
not true at all. basically just like a computer in suspend mode. The information is on 'hold' and consumes no more power with information in the memory as opposed to when it is empty.
A computer in suspend mode uses power, and a lot at that. The CPU, drives and such may shutoff, but power is hed onto the volatile ram.

The iPhone has both volatile and non volatile ram. Whether that ipod data is stored in the volatile or non-volatile part is the question. the answer either way is that battery life may be drained depending on the case above, but the amount of power to hold a few bytes of info for hours on end should be insignificant when you couple signal strength of the ATT service into the equation. Get my drift?