I've & I'll

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Good afternoon all -

I could have sworn a while back if I was typing I've or I'll on my iPhone it would figure out what I was typing, and enter it for me.

For example I use to type Ill, and it would replace it with I'll, save with Ive, to I've.

But, I've noticed that it's not doing it anymore. Do I have to restore my device? Surely not.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Just checked. The corrections are working here. Just a long shot: have you rebooted the phone lately. Might correct it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
OT: In response to your PM, iPhone 3GS posts do appear to be showing in new posts. This one just showed up for me.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Just a tip for everyone.

A common problem I've run into, is when I want to type a contraction but the contraction is also a word without the apostrophe, the iPhone will not auto correct the word into a contraction, because it is a normal word. (i.e. typing were will not correct to we're, because were without the apostrophe is a normal word.)

So what I've found, is when you type the last letter a second time (i.e. weree) the iPhone will auto correct it to a contracted word.

Typing:██████████████Auto Corrects to:
welll█████████████████████we'll
weree████████████████████we're

etc.

Hope this helps some people. I found it very useful not to have to switch the keyboard to get the apostrophe, and then switch it back to letters to keep typing.

artap99

Jul 4, 2009
It corrects the word I'll based upon context. Ill is almost never the start of a sentence, so saying Ill as your first word will normally autocorrect to I'll.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
ah, if only it did! I reset the auto correction earlier today. I'll test it shortly (dinner first)...

PS: Thanks for all the replies...

It corrects the word I'll based upon context. Ill is almost never the start of a sentence, so saying Ill as your first word will normally autocorrect to I'll.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Weird. When I started the thread, it was not in the 'New Post' section. Same as another I started the other day, thus my email.

Nonetheless, I'll check it on my next one...

OT: In response to your PM, iPhone 3GS posts do appear to be showing in new posts. This one just showed up for me.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Hmm, not so sure about that one... I think it always auto corrects "ill" to "I'll" no matter what. At least in my experience.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I tested it this morning, and of course, both I've & I'll are working. But, with I'll, it doesn't seem to work 100%. But, I did notice if I pause after enter Ill, then it seems to be more consistent...

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Thanks for these tips. One thing I noticed that I don't like. I used to be able to type omg and it would change it to OMG as well as lol and it would change it to LOL. Now I have select all caps for these to come in as all caps.

I liked it when it just did it automatically.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I absolutely hated the fact the iPhone used to change lol to LOL. Actually I hate myself for using lol in the first place, so when the iPhone made a big deal out if it by capitalising it - that tipped me over the edge! Thank God it doesn't do that anymore!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I absolutely hated the fact the iPhone used to change lol to LOL. Actually I hate myself for using lol in the first place, so when the iPhone made a big deal out if it by capitalising it - that tipped me over the edge! Thank God it doesn't do that anymore!
Yeah, I know a lot of people, if not everyone hated the fact that LOL was capitalized, I liked it. I got used to it and I ended up liking it, now I miss it. I am the only one who enjoyed that. It's okay, I can adapt to the change. I mean afterall, I came off of a 8 year stint @ Verizon. I'll take anything I can get.

Mar 2, 2009
California
Thanks for these tips. One thing I noticed that I don't like. I used to be able to type omg and it would change it to OMG as well as lol and it would change it to LOL. Now I have select all caps for these to come in as all caps.

I liked it when it just did it automatically.
Blah, I HATED when the iPhone auto-corrected lol to LOL. The only time I ever use LOL in all caps is when I'm seriously laughing that much harder.

OMG now defaults to some other three letter abreviation at some random times other than omg, although not always.

The only thing that irritates me more at this point is when auto-correct just stops working completely. I can be in the middle of a normal conversation either through text or IM, and the auto-correct will just stop. I usually have to exit the program I'm in for it to start working again.

OS 3.0 is nice but they really need to fix a lot of bugs, and I hope the majority of those have been addressed in 3.1

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
The only thing that irritates me more at this point is when auto-correct just stops working completely. I can be in the middle of a normal conversation either through text or IM, and the auto-correct will just stop. I usually have to exit the program I'm in for it to start working again.
That happens for me as well. Supposedly it's caused by emoji. Do you use emoji too?

Mar 2, 2009
California
Yeah, I use emoji. Never had that before with 2.2.1

How does emoji cause such a problem? I need my emojis and refuse to remove them :p

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
If you go to the settings, general, reset, there is an option to reset the keyboard dictionary. This gets rid of any custom words you might have typed in or disabled corrections due to you undoing or rejecting the correction often enough.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...it is rather weird how all of a sudden auto text just stops working. I could probably understand more if my device was jailbroken or something (no offence), but...