I've officially had my first problem with the 3GS

NHenry5

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Today I took my phone off the charger at about 9:30 am and the phone was hot as anything. It has a plastic incase slider on it and even that was burning hot. It had me worried but I continued through my day. By the time I went from my room to put the dog outside the phone had already used up 5% of the battery and i hadn't even taken it off lock. I worked all day today and I only made one 5 minute phone call and a few texts and emails and the phone was below 20% by 10 PM. I had less than an hour of usage and a little over 12 hours of stand by time. And during that 5 minute phone call the phone got really hot again. I did a restore and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the same problem doesn't happen tonight otherwise I'm off to the Apple store this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

Has anyone else had problems like that?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not uncommon. Apple will replace it.

Shonai

Jun 24, 2009
You 'put the dog outside the phone'?

Well there is your problem: the dog was hot and overheated your phone.:p

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
mine got a tiny bit warm for the first time yesterday and today when i had to restore the damn thing 8 times in a day 4 times in a row once but has never been "hot". Take it back they will replace it.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
How's your signal? If your phone is looking for a signal, it'll BURN through the battery really quickly.

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
No matter how hard I try, I can't get that damm bug.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I also have the irresistible urge to smash that damn bug. :cool:

NHenry5

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
well i went to the Apple store today, which is 45 minutes away from my house, and after talking to the genius and him running some tests on my phone he agreed that there is something wrong and agreed to replace it. but just my luck, they don't have a phone to replace it with so he had to order one which means i have to drive another 1 1/2 total time to pick up my phone whenever it comes in.

NHenry5

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
just a little update. The guy told me 3-5 days to get my new phone and he would call me. Well its been 8 days and no phone call, and of course any time I try to call them I just get put on hold forever. I am NOT HAPPY with their customer service right now. The Apple website shows that they have the phones in stock, yet I am still stuck here with a phone that doesn't get through half the day and is so hot I can probably cook eggs on it for breakfast

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
unless your phone keeps droping from 3g to edge and back it is not normal and replacement is needed :)

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I don't have the heat issues but my battery life is horrendous. It's been 2 hours since I took it off the charger, haven't made a single phone call and sent maybe a dozen text messages and the battery indicter is showing 73%.

The other night I hadn't used the phone for 4 hours and the battery went from 53% to 19%.