I've stopped posting because I can't find any threads I want to post in.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Ever since the change to jumble together everything about the iPhone under one subforum I usually can't seem to find anything to post in. I really don't understand why the organized breakdown of the different iPhone topics had to be axed. Where are the rumor threads? Where are my iPhone 3G threads? What if I want to learn something specific to the iPhone 4?

If there was one section that shouldn't have been jumbled up it was the iPhone section. Meanwhile there's 4 ipod subforums, each pertaining to a different iteration of the device.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have not been on the iPhone section of the forum for a while but I remember how it was organized back then, much better than it currently is. I agree with you on that.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Same here, I don't like it the way it is now, I prefer the way it was before. Too much bundled up in one place.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Doing away with all the needless sub-forums and sub-sub-forums was a step in the right direction, IMO. The iPhone forums alone didn't even fit on one screen (see screenshot below). Many of the old sub-forums were dedicated to pretty much the same thing. For example, I didn't think the CDMA iPhone 4 was different enough from the GSM iPhone 4 to warrant its own sub-forum. There was too much scrolling involved and it was more difficult to locate things. It's more organized now and it's also easier to moderate since there is less thread-moving required.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Doing away with all the needless sub-forums and sub-sub-forums was a step in the right direction, IMO. The iPhone forums alone didn't even fit on one screen (see screenshot below). Many of the old sub-forums were dedicated to pretty much the same thing. For example, I didn't think the CDMA iPhone 4 was different enough from the GSM iPhone 4 to warrant its own sub-forum. There was too much scrolling involved and it was more difficult to locate things. It's more organized now and it's also easier to moderate since there is less thread-moving required.

Well you're showing more than what I am referring to in that screenshot. What you show there includes subforums that are still separate, like the accessories, apps and games and wallpapers.

I agree Verizon and ATT should be one phone model, it's ridiculous to have them separated. But not having a separate subforum for each model of the iPhone is insane, especially when you guys have done just that with the ipod section.

All major forums, when they get big, start to break down into different fields of interest. This site actually did the opposite, and I bet traffic would be much higher if there was a designated "Rumors" forum or "iPhone 4s" forum for example. Just think of Google searches. You go to the iPhone forum's first page now and you can run into basically any topic under the sun as if it's a street market. Not very intuitive.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I disagree that it's insane to not have more iPhone sub-forums. Some of the most successful iPhone forums out there only have a few sub-forums. Google hits are very important to the forum admin. I don't think consolidating the sub-forums and making it easier to peruse has a negative impact on Google search hits. If Chris was convinced of this, I'm sure he would have or will be changing it back. I'll wait for Chris to chime in later with more info regarding that.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
The forum has been pretty dry and boring here lately. I check in every now and then. Just nothing interesting lately. iPhone 4s just didn't really create much of a buzz that lasted.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I agree with you Ltzguy. I hope the iPhone 5 is going to change that, though. The 4S, as I stated the very first day it was officially announced, was a disappointment for me.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Not sure when the change happened since I don't have an iPhone anymore, but I feel good knowing what I was suggesting has been put in place. It's so easy to look up anything about any model now. Sorry Europa, I know you were against it! I bet you were a nay vote when the staff was asked about this lol.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not sure when the change happened since I don't have an iPhone anymore, but I feel good knowing what I was suggesting has been put in place. It's so easy to look up anything about any model now. Sorry Europa, I know you were against it! I bet you were a nay vote when the staff was asked about this lol.
No, I don't recall voting, but I do realize the importance of Google hits. We aren't quite back where we started, though. If we were, accessories and cases wouldn't be consolidated, there would be sub-sub-forums for the GSM 4S and CDMA 4S, etc. Either way, it's not that big of a deal to me anymore. This is probably because I rarely peruse eiC looking at the different sections. Instead I just read the new posts and check my alerts.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It was something we tried. At the time, I thought it made tremendous sense, but admittedly it didn't work out so well, so we changed it back.

Glad to see you back. Hope you stick around, especially if you jump back to the iPhone.

I'm always open to suggestions on making improvements. Sometimes they might take a bit longer than I'd like to implement, but I'm listening.

Last edited: