iWebSaver: Save Websites to your iPhone - No Jailbreaking!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Hello, I found a very interesting site while browsing around very late into the evening. iWebSaver is somewhat of a Web-App which will take any site and turn it into a Base64 URL String. Once encoded, you can bookmark the page as a URL to your Homescreen or Bookmarks folder.

This is especially useful for pages you might reference often, would like to read a long article without recaching each time you launch Safari, or would like to read in areas devoid of EDGE or Wifi reception like the Subway.

iWebSaver has its limitations of course, meaning you wouldn't want to cache a page with dynamic content, that'd be pretty fruitless ;)

On the plus side however, you can even cache pages with javascript and retain it's functionality. In example I tried saving the WeightWatcher's Calculator to my springboard, and it saved perfectly, including keeping the javascript in tact which handles the calculations.

Give it a shot, and please post the pages you've cached and found very useful.

Visit http://iwebsaver.com its quick and easy to use, and they offer a Bookmarklet called iWebSaver Favlet. The Favlet will take whatever site you're currently on and pass that to iWebSaver to make the process 1 step quicker :)

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I seem to be having a problem.
I have the page saved, but I never get the option of "Add Bookmark" or "Add to homescreen".

I am 1.1.2 Jailbroken, if that matters.

Dana

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I seem to be having a problem.
I have the page saved, but I never get the option of "Add Bookmark" or "Add to homescreen".

I am 1.1.2 Jailbroken, if that matters.

Dana
I believe you need to be on 1.1.3

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
I have been using this app for the past few weeks.
Its cool because I can now get to any page I need without a problem.
And another thing, when I go to myspace or any other site i need to log in, it takes a long time for the login page to load so I saved that to iwebsaver so that opens right away and I just log in to save time!

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
Sorry but um. I don't see the purpose in this... Whats the dif. Between just adding it like normal.?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Sorry but um. I don't see the purpose in this... Whats the dif. Between just adding it like normal.?
The entire page you're viewing is saved inside the webclip. This means you can be in the subway where there is no connectivity available and still load your saved page for browsing.

The myspace solution posted above is another clever use for this web app. Now they can go directly to the login screen without having to wait for EDGE to load all those banners which you would have to wait for otherwise. Sometimes safari won't give you access to form fields if the page is still parsing.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Meh. All my webpages need to be updated when I visit them, so this is pretty much useless to me.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Meh. All my webpages need to be updated when I visit them, so this is pretty much useless to me.
Yeah, I pointed that out in the original post. The idea is reference sites, mixed drinks, recipes, ascii charts, table of elements... You know, pages that won't update much.

Another use is for long reads, like a wikipedia entry or online ebook. Just cache it up and you've got no worries about missing calls while reading :)