jail break 3GS purplera1n vs redsn0w

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I jailbroke with purplera1n it does not seem to want to download cydia. But would rather jb with redsn0w for the 3gs do I have to restore my iPhone before rejailbreaking with the redsn0w?

is it better to jb with redsn0w?

thanks

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I used purplera1n without issue, so something is not right. What was meant by "does not seem to want to download cydia?" You use Freeze to install Cydia, right after purplera1in is finished jb'ing.

In any event, I would for sure do a fresh restore if re-jailbreaking with redsn0w.

--
Mike

3GiphoneE

Bronze
Nov 27, 2008
I jb with purplera1n without a doubt. I first tried with redsnow but it would just get stuck on reboot, tried like a dozen times without success, so purplera1n was the other option, and yes you hit freeze to install cydia. good luck.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I jailbroke with purplera1n it does not seem to want to download cydia.
You download Cydia through Freeze, which you will find on the springboard after purplera1n is done. After Freeze is done installing Cydia, you may not see the Cydia icon on your springboard until you reboot the phone.

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
I used Purplera1n on a 3Gs. It got stuck in "Working" portion for about 1/2 hour. I aborted and did a restore, ran Purplera1n again. It started up where it left off finished and it worked.

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
the phone would not download cydia from freeze, it downloaded all night nothing so I just restored and rejail broke with redsnow fast fast fast

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
the phone would not download cydia from freeze, it downloaded all night nothing so I just restored and rejail broke with redsnow fast fast fast
That was in all likelihood an issue with Cydia itself. It's been having a few problems lately.

--
Mike

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
It seems the OP is sorted out using redsn0w. I've used redsn0w without any problems from the day it was released. Plus, it installs Cydia for you. :)