Jailbraking?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JEWISH_GOAT

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
So I'm new, and don't quite have an iPhone YET..but I've been reading a lot of threads and posts about jailbreaking your iPhone to get certain apps and what not..

Instead of jb'ing your masterpiece of a phone and potentially ruining it, wouldn't waiting for the SDK to come out in Feb make more sense since developers will most likely come up with these apps anyway?

Or am I talking about 2 different things? :confused:

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
i was just go ahead and jailbreak it you wont ruin the phone and you can always just restore back to factory settings if you needed to

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
So I'm new, and don't quite have an iPhone YET..but I've been reading a lot of threads and posts about jailbreaking your iPhone to get certain apps and what not..

Instead of jb'ing your masterpiece of a phone and potentially ruining it, wouldn't waiting for the SDK to come out in Feb make more sense since developers will most likely come up with these apps anyway?

Or am I talking about 2 different things? :confused:
Jailbreaking the phone allows you to install the software that is already available. If you choose to keep it locked and wait until February then you will have the option to install software onto the phone as it is developed and PAY Apple for every one of them. A lot of the current applications are small utilities or fun programs that are not necessarily something that the majority of the people would pay to play with. I suspect that most of these will not ever become available through iTunes.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
First of all, I love your name. JEWISH_GOAT.

As for your answer. Jailbreaking still appeals to those who don't want to deal with stock phones until February. I can, however.

I've tried jailbreaking numerous times, and every one of those times my phone became slow and unreliable. This won't be the same with SDK. It will offer apps, but won't be for awhile.

My opinion is that jailbreaking isn't worth. I say wait for the SDK. But you'll definitely hear otherwise around here from some people.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Jailbreaking the phone allows you to install the software that is already available. If you choose to keep it locked and wait until February then you will have the option to install software onto the phone as it is developed and PAY Apple for every one of them. A lot of the current applications are small utilities or fun programs that are not necessarily something that the majority of the people would pay to play with. I suspect that most of these will not ever become available through iTunes.
Er, it hasn't been confirmed that you have to pay for them, has it?

- John

JEWISH_GOAT

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks MacManPro your post response was really helpful. I kinda already figured that waiting for the SDK might be more sensible but didn't really understand "jailbreaking" all that much anyway. But all this might not even be an issue cause I don't even have my iPhone yet :laugh2:

Freya

Nov 9, 2007
Personally I do not understand why to hack iPhone.

Everybody knows (it hasn't ever been a secret) that iPhone is a "closed platform".

If you do not like this, why to buy iPhone?

Why not to buy any "open platform" phone? Some Blackberry device or Nokia smartphone? Pretty cool, high-tech devices!

Why to buy iPhone and hack it?

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I concur with MacManPro that it aint worth jailbreaking. You will end up making your phone a brick if you don't follow the instructions correctly. I have already replaced 3 iPhones and I don't want to buy a new iPhone if I end up messing up the phones software. Moreover, I don't have time to jailbreak the phone everytime Apple releases an update.

In the end, I am happy with what Apple has offered and we purchased the phone knowing that we ONLY have these on the phone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I concur with MacManPro that it aint worth jailbreaking. You will end up making your phone a brick if you don't follow the instructions correctly.
if you have bricked 3 iPhones trying to simply jailbreak, then the problem is more than your inability to follow directions.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
if you have bricked 3 iPhones trying to simply jailbreak, then the problem is more than your inability to follow directions.
No, I haven't bricked 3 phones. Matter of fact I haven't even tried jailbreaking the phone. All these phones had some issues in pertinent to the touch screen and hence had to return them. What I meant was I was tired of visiting the Genius every now and then and I don't want to visit the Apple store again to get a new phone (in case I bricked the phone).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, if you find yourself in the Apple store for iPhone issues often, it might be a bad idea for you to mod. The geniuses don't take kindly to modded phones.