Jailbreak and Apps question

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
I'm new to all this so please be patient with me. I did the ziPhone jailbreak and now im interested in apps. How do I find them and apply them? I'm most interested in a sms app. Thanks

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Just launch Installer to check out all the (tons) of available apps, including several SMS tools
I've found one that I want and it says to extract latest zip in / directory on iPhone. Do NOT replace MobileSMS.app directory, just copy the files inside it. How do I go about this process?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've found one that I want and it says to extract latest zip in / directory on iPhone. Do NOT replace MobileSMS.app directory, just copy the files inside it. How do I go about this process?
If you've found an app out on the web that you download as a .zip file, then just use Winzip or WinRar or similar to extract the file, then run WinSCP or similar to SSH into your iPhone (you'll need to have OpenSSH installed on the iPhone) and copy the ApplicationName.app folder (where the app's name will be there instead of ApplicationName) into the /Applications folder on the iPhone.
Which app is is you're wanting to install? It will be far easier to do it via Installer if it is in there ...

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
If you've found an app out on the web that you download as a .zip file, then just use Winzip or WinRar or similar to extract the file, then run WinSCP or similar to SSH into your iPhone (you'll need to have OpenSSH installed on the iPhone) and copy the ApplicationName.app folder (where the app's name will be there instead of ApplicationName) into the /Applications folder on the iPhone.
Which app is is you're wanting to install? It will be far easier to do it via Installer if it is in there ...

SMSD is the app that I'm most interested in. How do I install OpenSSH and how I find Installer?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
SMSD is the app that I'm most interested in. How do I install OpenSSH and how I find Installer?
OK, that's why I asked - there is no need to download .zip files and install that one manually. It is in Installer, under the Network category.

How do you find Installer = if you just did the 1.1.3 jailbreak, it should be on your home screen.

How to install OpenSSH = also via Installer - first you'll need to install BSD Subsystem (as OpenSSH and other apps require it), from the System category in Installer - once that is done, install OpenSSH from under the System category as well ...

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
OK, that's why I asked - there is no need to download .zip files and install that one manually. It is in Installer, under the Network category.

How do you find Installer = if you just did the 1.1.3 jailbreak, it should be on your home screen.

How to install OpenSSH = also via Installer - first you'll need to install BSD Subsystem (as OpenSSH and other apps require it), from the System category in Installer - once that is done, install OpenSSH from under the System category as well ...
Thank you so much! I'm learning! You have helped me tremondously! One more question. When I plug the phone into the computer, iTunes doesn't automatically load. Any ideas?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Thank you so much! I'm learning! You have helped me tremondously! One more question. When I plug the phone into the computer, iTunes doesn't automatically load. Any ideas?
No worries - glad it was helpful.

iTunes not automatically starting = I get that intermittently as well. Not sure of easiest solution for that - I've never really explored it because I find iTunes such an out-and-out dog that I really never *want* it launching unless absolutely necessary - so I just fire it up manually if I need an iPhone sync on the occasions it doesn't auto-start ...

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
I keep getting package download failed: can''t connect to host. Is this normal and do I just need to try again later?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I keep getting package download failed: can''t connect to host. Is this normal and do I just need to try again later?
This thread should maybe help - easiest option is the install of Community Sources from under the Sources category, but there are further options listed in the thread if that doesn't work out for you ...

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
I can't install installer and BSD Subsystem. I'm on ziPhone 2.3 so all the recent codes are correct. Installer doesn't even attempt to load and BSD Subsystem downloads but then says, Notice....Do not use passwd to change the password on 1.1.3, it is currently broken and will make the springboard crash continuously.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I can't install installer and BSD Subsystem. I'm on ziPhone 2.3 so all the recent codes are correct. Installer doesn't even attempt to load and BSD Subsystem downloads but then says, Notice....Do not use passwd to change the password on 1.1.3, it is currently broken and will make the springboard crash continuously.
That message at the end of the BSD Subsystem install is normal and correct (i.e we're all seeing that) - the app should still be installed. Check the Unistall tab in Installer and see if it's listed - if it is, cool, one down, and you can go onto OpenSSH if you want it.

Have you installed SMSD yet?

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
community sources, bsd subsystem, installer, smsd,and openssh are all listed in the uninstall tab. When I touch the smsd icon, it opens and then goes back to the home screen.

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Also, BSD Subsystem and Installer have reinstall listed in the box in the top right. Does that mean that they haven't been Installed?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Also, BSD Subsystem and Installer have reinstall listed in the box in the top right. Does that mean that they haven't been Installed?
Reinstall is probably worth doing - for Installer first I would think if apps are not launching correctly. Once Installer is redone, probably worth an uninstall and reinstall of any app not launching correctly (be aware, BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH do not have home screen icons, so don't worry if you don't see any for them) ...

duckdogdrake

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
In the uninstall tab, installer's size is 0 bytes. When I try to do a reinstall it goes back to the uninstall screen.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
In the uninstall tab, installer's size is 0 bytes. When I try to do a reinstall it goes back to the uninstall screen.
I'm not sure what to suggest on that anymore. I'd be tempted to just restore again and run the ZiPhone jailbreak again - it's such a fast process now ...