Jailbreak and iPhone update question..

bananashakes18

Bronze
Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
Hello everyone, i was thinking of jailbreaking my 3g iPhone. I read the tutorial and know how. But i was wondering if when i jailbreak it, and a new update for the iPhone comes out.. will i have to jailbreak it again with an updated jailbreak firmware? or will it be fine?

1buprofen

Jul 17, 2008
I'm new to all of this as well. But from what I garner its best to check with the iPhone Dev team before doing something you may regret. Here is a blurb from their blog that answers your question:

Again, a clarification in layman’s terms :-

• If you own a first generation (2G iPhone), no matter what you do now, you don’t have to worry, the next PwnageTool will get you where you want even if it you prematurely updated. 2G is completely pwned at every conceivable level and you’ll always be OK. But if you own a 3G iPhone and are looking for unlock in the near future, don’t use Apple’s update yet!
  • If your 3G iPhone is on a regular contract and you always plan to be with the carrier then you can update but you will lose the jailbreak and access to third party (non AppStore) applications.
  • If your 3G iPhone is not on a regular contract and you plan to use it on an alternative network to the carrier that supplied it then do not update unless you do it with the impending PwnageTool update.
  • PwnageTool v2.0.1 does not work with version 2.0.1 of the iPhone or iPod update from Apple.
  • We will release an update to PwnageTool when the testing has been completed and all applied changes have been checked for safety.

You can visit their blog here:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

And here is a link to their site:
http://wikee.iphwn.org/

You're welcome,
1bu ;)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hello everyone, i was thinking of jailbreaking my 3g iPhone. I read the tutorial and know how. But i was wondering if when i jailbreak it, and a new update for the iPhone comes out.. will i have to jailbreak it again with an updated jailbreak firmware? or will it be fine?
This is what I put in your other thread in case you didn't see it.

Historically when a new update comes out you have to wait on the update until software comes out to jailbreak it.
Lots of people here waited on 2.0 until a jailbreak was ready. And I would guess the 2.0 people are waiting on 2.0.1

bananashakes18

Bronze
Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
This is what I put in your other thread in case you didn't see it.

Historically when a new update comes out you have to wait on the update until software comes out to jailbreak it.
Lots of people here waited on 2.0 until a jailbreak was ready. And I would guess the 2.0 people are waiting on 2.0.1

Thank you for all the info. that answered my question. I had a feeling that would be it. now i have to decide if i really want to do it or not. are there any other ways to get applications ( for example applications that you would buy at app store ) for free without jailbreaking the phone?

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
What's up with the dev team, anyway? Those guys have day jobs or something?