Jailbreak didn't work

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
I tried to jailbreak my phone last night and the IPSW did not work. Is there any other place where I can download the software? Thanks for any help.

Cheers Joe

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I tried to jailbreak my phone last night and the IPSW did not work. Is there any other place where I can download the software? Thanks for any help.

Cheers Joe
Do a search for the iPhone development team and from there you'll find links to software that will jailbreak your phone. Do not pay for the software! It is free for all to use. Let us know if you're still having difficulty. The software will create the modified OP system file you require. You are not downloading a IPSW. It is created after you run through certain parameters of the program. Just be cognizant of the proper file to run since it is dependent on the firmware your phone is currently operating under.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Make sure your using the 3.0 IPSW with the 3.0.1 FW. Google iclarified+ipsw for the link.

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
Make sure your using the 3.0 IPSW with the 3.0.1 FW. Google iclarified+ipsw for the link.
Thats what i was using i have no idea why its not working

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Is your phone currently on the 3.0.1 firmware?

If so, download redsn0w (if you haven't already done so) and also have the 3.0 .ipsw file available as well (you may have to download also).

Run redsn0w and use the 3.0 .ipsw file to jailbreak your device.

If you have problems with DFU etc then there are guides on how to do so all over the web.

In short- hold both power and home buttons for 10 seconds.
Release the Power button on the 10th second. Then continue to hold the home button for a further 10 seconds then release. This should put your phone in DFU mode. Redsn0w will detect that your phone is ready to jailbreak and it will continue automatically. If it stalls, then pull your usb cable out of the phone and plug it back in quickly- it worked for me.

If you get a white screen when your re-plug your cable back into the phone, simply remove the cable and hold the power button until the phone switches off. You may have to put it in DFU again. I had massive problems the last time I jailbroke.

If your still having no joy at all. Then try various USB slots or even a different cable.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
juls1585 said:
are you using vista by chance?

if you are i ran into the same issue. i ended up using my old laptop with xp and it worked without any issues. i found online that a lot of people ran into issues with it on vista.
I agree, people using Vista have issues.

slayer666

Bronze
Aug 13, 2009
juls1585 said:
are you using vista by chance?

if you are i ran into the same issue. i ended up using my old laptop with xp and it worked without any issues. i found online that a lot of people ran into issues with it on vista.
Im using Xp

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
At what point exactly does it fail, slayer?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That link is the file you need for redsn0w. You not only need to make sure you are using the 3.0 IPSW file, you also need to make sure it's the one for the 3G.

Try again using the file I linked. First, update your phone to 3.0.1. Then use redsn0w to jailbreak using the 3.0 IPSW file (NOT the 3.0.1 IPSW file). redsn0w will not work with the 3.0.1 IPSW. Once you are done, you will still be running 3.0.1.