Jailbreak marks after restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Thomas_2303, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

Hi, I've been jailbreaking for a while now, but I still have a question. Can a JB leave a mark after a restore? I thought it couldn't. But in the early years of jailbreaking my iPhone 3G, I installed a tweak called MakeItMine (changes the carrier name in whatever you like). After I restored my 3G the carrier was still changed. So apparently the restore didn't erase all of the jailbreak software... One week ago I jailbroke my iPhone 4 using redsnow and it kept crashing (random crash at opening whatever app or doing whatever action), after restoring, the iPhone still kept crashing. Is it possible that the JB leaves a mark after all? Thx!

Specifications: iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, Untethered Jailbroken with the latest version of Redsnow.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Thomas_2303, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  2. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

If you don't want to leave a trace of a previous jailbreak. You cannot restore from a back up. It needs to be set up as a new phone. That way nothing from your previous jailbreak lingers.

3. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

Thanks for your quick reply!
    As I said, my iPhone kept crashing even after the restore. I brought it to an Apple Store and received a new iPhone today. I thought the problem that caused my iPhone into crashing was caused by the jailbreak. If that was the case, is it possible that the bug is on my new iPhone too? (because I set the new iPhone up from my last back up).

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The crashes are related to the jailbreak itself. It is often due to an app that is incompatible with you OS or another app. The custom carrier logo will be added into the iTunes backup, and it will survive a restore from backup. You probably won't experience the crashes/problems if the phone is stock, even if you used that backup. If your phone is jailbroken, try running crashlog (Cydia app). It will help you find the culprit apps/themes/tweaks.

5. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Keep in mind all settings are restored when restoring from a backup. That would include Cydia settings and any other app related to jailbreaking. Since some jailbreak apps do nothing other than change a setting that is normally not accessible it would be very easy to tell a restored-from-backup iPhone had been jailbroken.

Michael

6. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

If the crash would be related to the jailbreak itself and/or an app that is incompatible with my OS, how would that explain the crashes after the restore? If I restore, the JB and cydia app are no longer there, so they can't interfere with my OS, but the phone was still crashing. From the moment I did whatever action (open an app, take picture, send sms, ...) the phone crashed. Or am I missing something here?
    Thanks for all your responses!

7. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

So you are saying that if I restore a jailbroken iPhone from backup, and I leave it stock, you can still see it was jailbroken in the past? If I leave it stock is it possible that there are still settings changed due to cydia? (even if cydia is not even installed at that moment)

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like your stock apps are crashing, not the phone. If this is the case and the phone is stock, I recommend restoring to factory settings.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, an Apple Genius would be able to tell. That doesn't matter, though. You'll always restore to factory settings prior to taking it in for repair or replacement. You will be able to tell that it was restored from a backup of a jailbroken phone (if you backed up the old phone without restoring the carrier logo to default) because that custom carrier logo will carry over to the stock phone. There are lots of jailbroken files that are carried over; that's just one of them that you can see.

10. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

I don't know if it is one of my stock apps that are crashing. I have the phone for almost a year now. Never had any problems with it, I jailbroke iOS 4 a couple of months ago, and also never had any issues. But when I jailbroke iOS 5.0.1 untethered, the crashes begun. And they continued after the restore from backup.. so I thought the JB messed something up in my phone... When I jailbroke 5.0.1 I also was very careful with installing any cydia apps or tweaks, the only things I did install were BiteSMS, Activator, SBsettings and lockscreenenhancer.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

When you say the phone is crashing, what exactly do you mean?
    Phone crashing = phone spontaneously rebooting.
    App crashing = an app spontaneously closing.

If apps are crashing, are they stock and App Store apps or are they Cydia apps?

Does this happen when your phone is stock or only when it is jailbroken? If it's the latter, it sounds like the problem is a Cydia app that is incompatible with 5.0 and making your phone unstable.

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Yes. Absolutely yes.

By the way, restored from backup and stock kind of contradict each other. Stock to me in this case would mean restored and setup as new--without restoring from a backup.

You can setup as new, take it to Apple for them to look at, and then when home restore from the backup that has what you want in it.

Michael

13. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

The phone crashes. When I open an app (simple appstore app) or take picture (stock camera app) or send sms with bitesms (cydia app), ... the phone just shuts down. I don't see the rotating wheel you normally see when shutting down manually. The screen just becomes black and the phone is unresponsive. When I hold the sleep/wake button, the phone starts up normally (Apple logo). So it's not only with cydia apps or only with stock apps, it happens random when doing random actions. This happened when I was jailbroken en it also happens when I restored from backup (unjailbroken). For that reason I thought the JB left something on my iPhone that was stored in the backup (but I thought that a restore erased everything from the JB, apparently I was wrong). It would also surprise me that the problem is caused by an app that's incompatible with my OS, because as I told before, I only installed these few apps/tweaks and I checked that they were all compatible. Also the problem persists when I'm not jailbroken and thus the apps/tweaks are not on my iPhone.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like you're going to have to restore to factory settings.

15. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

Is there any possibility to get the backup back after I restored to factory settings?
    And if I would be able to do that, is there a possibility that the problem returs after installing the backup?
    Or am I doomed to lose al my data?

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

You can get it back. You can right click on the iPhone in iTunes devices and choose to restore. It will let you pick which backup to use.

Michael

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Jailbreak data and such aren't backed up into iTunes.

18. Thomas_2303

Thomas_2303 New Member

Do you think it would be safe to rejailbreak a new stock iPhone with the same backup (the backup I previously JB). Or is there a possibility that the crashes would return... I'm very willing to JB again, but I'm afraid it will mess up my phone again...

Ps: Thanks for all your numerous replies, really appreciate the info!

19. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Wrong. If you don't know please don't chime in and add confusion. Thank you.

Michael

20. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Well assuming the crashes still happened when restoring the old iPhone as new, I would think the crashes would not return if you restore from its backup to the new iPhone.

But if by chance the crashes do return there is no harm done: just restore the new iPhone as new and move on from there.

Good luck.

Michael