Jailbreak No Cydia or Limera1n icon? HELP

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

consultant

Feb 7, 2011
iPhone 4. Was running 4.0.1 jailbroken with the web-based exploit many months ago.

Decided it was finally time to udpate to 4.2.1. Ran Limera1n and process went fine - although irritating that iTunes kept loading saying phone is in DFU mode. No error messages, Limerain says exploting then ends with no errors saying phone is jailbroken. Start phone and no Limera1n or Cydia icon. Huh? iPhoneBrowser programs says phone is not jailbroken (but maybe that is not correct or maybe it is which is why the icons aren't there?)

Any help would be appreciated.

consultant

Feb 7, 2011
Tried GreenPois0n instead. Did a heck of a lot more than Limera1n - kinda scary watching all the terminal output on the screen - like whoa, is this going to BRICK my phone? But low an behold, loader icon! Yeh! Not sure why limera1n didn't work but Greenpios0n did.

consultant

Feb 7, 2011
As far as I know, Limera1n jailbreak doesn't support 4.2.1 yet, only greenpois0n.
Posted before I saw your message. The reason I used limera1n (in addition to just trusting GeoHot's stuff) is that there are gobs of posts on the net saying Greenpois0n is based on Limera1n. So ya, doesn't work with 4.2.1. Wouldn't it be a no-brainer for him to just show on the page where you download it what O/S versions and platforms it supports to avoid and confusion?

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Posted before I saw your message. The reason I used limera1n (in addition to just trusting GeoHot's stuff) is that there are gobs of posts on the net saying Greenpois0n is based on Limera1n. So ya, doesn't work with 4.2.1. Wouldn't it be a no-brainer for him to just show on the page where you download it what O/S versions and platforms it supports to avoid and confusion?
There are thousands of sites stating that Limera1n won't jailbreak iOS 4.2.1. When a new update comes out, please don't automatically assume that it'll work.

Glad you got everything working in the end! :p

consultant

Feb 7, 2011
There are thousands of sites stating that Limera1n won't jailbreak iOS 4.2.1. When a new update comes out, please don't automatically assume that it'll work.

Glad you got everything working in the end! :p
Ya, but, wouldn't it take only a minute or so for Gehot to simply post a few lines of text like "Works With: ......." on this page?

http://limera1n.com/

Or is it "hacker cool" to leave as little information off the download page as possible so people have to go waste time scouring the internet for reliable information as to what it works with and what it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some techno-retard, I'm just SUPER busy. It just seems like listing the compatibility on the download page is a complete no-brainer, super quick thing to do. I consider GeoHot's rain pages my goto site for whenever I need a jailbreak. Guess that's not the case anymore.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think Geohot has more to worry about rather than updating his site. He's fighting Sony at the moment.

H52killer

Jul 2, 2012
As far as I know, Limera1n jailbreak doesn't support 4.2.1 yet, only greenpois0n.

This is slightly related, don't use limera1n i have a ipod touch 2ndgen 4.2.1 mb model limera1in didn't work and it almost fried it it wouldn't get out of recovery mode for about 30 minutes. Greenpois0n hasn't worked so far and neither has redsn0w but I'll keep tring until it is jailbroken with Cydia.
-Now iTunes won't show my iPod under devices when plugged in! I'm pissed off, never use limera1n!

Last edited by a moderator: