jailbreak OTB 1.1.2 without Wi-Fi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bean22

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I just bought an iPhone that's 1.1.2 firmware out of the box. Is there any way to jailbreak using Chris' method without Wi-Fi service on my phone? I don't have access to any wi-fi networks at my house(they are all locked and require passwords) and i don't have wi-fi on my computer either. Also, i don't have a laptop so i can't just go to Starbucks and use theirs. So from what i've read, i obviously need access to a computer to jailbreak 1.1.2 OTB, and i can't jailbreak using the EDGE network. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I just bought this thing and i really want to jailbreak and start having fun with it!

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Since your phone's baseband will still be at 1.1.2, you will not have phone service. So you will have to rely on wifi to jailbreak. You'll only need it for literally 2-3 mins so that you can jailbreak and install Oktoprep (you don't need to have a laptop along). After you get Oktoprep installed, you can return home and finish the rest of the instructions.

The other option is to use your computer as a wifi access point. See this guide for Macs (it assumes that your computer has a wireless card though):
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12502

At the bottom, there's a link for Window's Vista users on how to setup an ad-hoc network...though again, you must have a wireless network adapter installed.

raderman

Dec 28, 2007
Using Chris's method, would anything change if i wanted to jailbreak my OTB 1.1.2 considering the new 1.1.3 update?
and when i complete the jailbreak, i can backup all my old info, contacts and stuff right?

Thanks for the help, just really timid to screw up a $600 phone.
;-)

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
the words "1.1.2 OTB phone" and "$600" cannot be used when describing one another, unless you are not in the states and did not buy it yourself.

iPhone 8GB = $400.