Jailbreak slowed my iPhone 3G way down!

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
So I used pwnage to jailbreak my iPhone. It made my phone extremely slow. Is this common. I haven't installed a lot of packages from cydia. Here is what I have installed.

SBSettings
-qtweeter
-Cycorder
-Safari download tool
-terminal
-3G unconditional (I know it's not call 'unconditional' I forget it at the moment. But lets me use skype over 3G)
-quicktext

I think that's about it. When I jailbroke I partitioned about 695 for system stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's very common on the 3G and V1.
Solution: upgrade to a 3GS and enjoy a jailbroken phone with no lag :)

Aug 30, 2009
my iPhone 3g is jailbroken and it runs as fast and smooth as my dads iPhone 3gs :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
my iPhone 3g is jailbroken and it runs as fast and smooth as my dads iPhone 3gs :)
I'm sorry, but that is not possible. A 3G cannot not run as fast as a 3GS because it has a slower processor and less system memory.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I'm wondering if the OP is experiencing extreme slowdown over and above the normal associated with jailbreaking.
Couldn't tell you. This is the first time that I've ever jailbroken. It almost makes me want to go back to an unjailbroken iPhone. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Sep 19, 2009
...upgrade to a 3GS and enjoy a jailbroken phone with no lag :)
Is this true? I have a 3GS and am on the fence about JB since trying a buddy's laggy JB 3G. How many people with 3GS phones are JB and can share how much slower the phone became after?

thx

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Yeah its true mine is Jailbroken and I have never recived lag or anything since it has been jailbroken.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The only lag I've received on my 3GS was when I installed winterboard and selected quite a few mods. But apart from that, I'm a very happy chappy.

I suggest to the OP that you restore to 3.0.1 and re-jailbreak. OR, try removing/reinstalling some of the apps you've added through Cydia, you may find the cause of the problem.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Happy Chappy, is that how they say it across the pond? We say, happy camper. My sister had a childrens book from England for my nephew and we were surprised at how many differences there are, for example cotton candy is candy floss, band aids are sticking plaster, and it even said lolli pop person for cross walk guard (although I doubt that one was right). :)

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Happy Chappy, is that how they say it across the pond? We say, happy camper. My sister had a childrens book from England for my nephew and we were surprised at how many differences there are, for example cotton candy is candy floss, band aids are sticking plaster, and it even said lolli pop person for cross walk guard (although I doubt that one was right). :)
Yeah that is right Lollipop Man or Lollipop Lady.

And band aids are just called Plasters here.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It really is Lollipop man/lady, huh. I guess because the stop sign resembles a big lollipop. I wish I could remember the rest, there were quite a few that we hadn't heard of before.

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
i have read about how people say there phone is slow after jail breaking. The last time i restored, i did not jailbreak just to test out the difference. i noticed NO difference at all, not a bit. same time to open apps etc...

BUT, i don't use winter board any more ( i do it all manually, and i love it) because that did slow it down and took more memory for sure. ever since i got rid of it, my apps open and run so much faster. but as i said, i notice no speed decline with JUST jail breaking...not a thing..

hope that helps..
D

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Jailbroke 3.1

I think I figured out why my jailbroken iPhone 3G was running so slow. As mentioned in a previous post, it's winterboard. It slows everything way down!

Anyways thanks for everyone's input.

Enjoy the rest of your week.