Jailbreak/Unlock a brand new 1.1.1 iPhone without using a computer! The FINAL guide

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
REVISED NOV. 19, 2007. If your phone is a brand new 1.1.2 version, then it is currently impossible to unlock it. When a solution is available, I will post it. As of now, we all just have to wait. If you upgraded to 1.1.2 from 1.1.1, however, then you can still unlock it if you first downgrade to 1.1.1 via iTunes and then run anySIM 1.2 instead of anySIM 1.1. I don't have any more details on this, so good luck.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 1.1.1 iPHONE --> ACTIVATED, JAILBROKEN, AND UNLOCKED 1.1.1 iPHONE

This guide is a result of months of constant research in iPhone unlocking. After lots of reading and thinking, I was finally able to piece many smaller guides (mostly from hackint0sh.org) into this one complete guide.

Needed:
1. An iPhone, possibly brand new and unactivated.
2. Wi-Fi access.

I've already verified this on over ten out-of-the-box iPhones. I can't imagine it getting much easier than this...

(If you've already activated your phone, you can skip to step 11.)

Activating your phone:

1. Just after you buy your phone at your local AT&T/Apple Store, walk to the middle of the store and sit down on the floor with your legs out.
2. Open the box, turn on your phone, and slide to reach the emergency dial screen.
3. Enter
*#307#
and then press call. Don't forget the asterisk (*).
4. Your phone will ring itself. Delete all the numbers at the top, press
0, then call. Now answer the call.
5. Press hold now and your phone will start ringing again.
6. Press
Dismiss and your phone will go into the Dialpad screen.
7. Press Contacts from the bottom bar and add a contact. Give it a random name (or no name) and then add new URL "prefs:" (no quotes). Now save the contact and click the URL. This will bring up your Settings menu.
8. Go to General, and change autolock to Never.
9. Now go to Wi-Fi. Choose your network and if you did it right you will see a Wi-Fi signal on top of the iPhone.
10. Now press return to call, slide for emergency, press 0, answer the call, press hold, decline the call, and now add another contact, this time with the address "www.jailbreakme.com". (As an alternative, you can also try "
www.slovix.com/touchfree/jb" which I've heard does the exact same thing.)

Jailbreaking your phone:

11. Click on this URL, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click "Install AppSnapp".
12. Your phone will take you back to the "Activate iPhone" screen. Wait about a minute, your phone will restart, and you'll find yourself at the homescreen with all your widgets, including Installer.

Unlocking your phone:

Press Installer, update it, and then go back in. Go to the Sources tab on the bottom, press edit, then add. As the new source, type in "http://i.unlock.no". Say OK, then press Refresh at the top.
14. Go to the Install tab, then Unlocking Tools, and then find and install anySIM 1.1, EDGE Settings fix, and YouTube activation. (Make sure the date and time are correct in Settings > General > Date & Time or YouTube won't work.)
15. Exit Installer and run anySIM 1.1. It will warn you that you need to put in your new SIM, but this isn't true. Just leave in the AT&T SIM that came with your phone. Now Slide to Unlock, press the big red button, and wait about 5 minutes for it to finish.

There you go! How long did that take you? It took me about 10 minutes.

Oct 30, 2007
15. Go to the Install tab, then All Packages, then find and install Community Sources, BSD Subsystem, Open SSH, and finally anySIM 1.1p.

I can find those 4 programs from all packages.

please help

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
15. Go to the Install tab, then All Packages, then find and install Community Sources, BSD Subsystem, Open SSH, and finally anySIM 1.1p.

I can find those 4 programs from all packages.

please help
I assume you means you can't find them? You need to first install Community Sources, then everything else.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I can now access the YouTube app but get the message "cannot connect to You Tube".

I can access youtube from within Safari on the phone however!

Why would this be?

Surely You Tube is accessible via WiFi and not just Edge.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
I can now access the YouTube app but get the message "cannot connect to You Tube".

I can access youtube from within Safari on the phone however!

Why would this be?

Surely You Tube is accessible via WiFi and not just Edge.
Unless you activated on OS X with iNdependence the files are not pre-patched during activation and you will have to replace them manually on a Windows box.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Yes, I replaced the 3 files which bypassed the YouTube activation but the message is "Cannot connect to YouTube", as if there's no internet connection.
I had that problem before (youtube was actually down, on the iPhone anyway). I seen a thread on modmyifone.com this morning saying it was down, not sure when it was originally posted though.

I would confirm, but am not at a Wi-fi access point atm.

Hopefully other users can confirm. Try making a sep post to get peoples attention.

mohd

Oct 29, 2007
Maldives
I tried this, it worked fine TILL THE INSTALL APPSNAP. It even returned tot he activation page, but i never received that call from "1". I tried it for more than 10 times... Why would this be ?

BRAND NEW IN BOX 1.1.1 iPHONE --> ACTIVATED, JAILBROKEN, AND UNLOCKED 1.1.1 iPHONE

This guide is a result of months of constant research in iPhone unlocking. After lots of reading and thinking, I was finally able to piece many smaller guides (mostly from hackint0sh.org) into this one complete guide.

Needed:
1. An iPhone, possibly brand new and unactivated.
2. Wi-Fi access.

I've already verified this on two out-of-the-box iPhones. I can't imagine it getting much easier than this...

(If you've already activated your phone, you can skip to step 11.)

Activating your phone:

1. Just after you buy your phone at your local AT&T/Apple Store, walk to the middle of the store and sit down on the floor with your legs out.
2. Open the box, turn on your phone, and slide to reach the emergency dial screen.
3. Enter
*#307#
and then press call. Don't forget the asterisk (*).
4. Your phone will ring itself. Delete all the numbers at the top, press
0, then call. Now answer the call.
5. Press hold now and your phone will start ringing again.
6. Press
Dismiss and your phone will go into the Dialpad screen.
7. Press Contacts from the bottom bar and add a contact. Give it a random name (or no name) and then add new URL "prefs://1F" (no quotes). Now save the contact and click the URL. This will bring up your Settings menu.
8. Go to General, and change autolock to Never.
9. Now go to Wi-Fi. Choose your network and if you did it right you will see a Wi-Fi signal on top of the iPhone.
10. Now press the home button and do steps 1 - 7 again. Add another contact but this time make the address "www.jailbreakme.com".

Jailbreaking your phone:

11. Click on this URL, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click "Install AppSnapp".
12. Your phone will take you back to the "Activate iPhone" screen. Wait about a minute and you'll get a phone call from the phone number "1". Answer the call and your phone will freeze. This is good, don't worry! (If this doesn't happen, keep visiting the webpage until it does, it might take a couple tries.)
13. Restart your phone and you'll find yourself at the homescreen with the Installer.app.

Unlocking your phone:

Press Installer, update it, and then go back in. Go to the Sources tab on the bottom, press edit, then add. As the new source, type in "http://rep.frenchiPhone.com/". Say OK, then press Refresh at the top.
15. Go to the Install tab, then All Packages, and then find and install Community Sources, followed by BSD Subsystem, Open SSH, and finally anySIM 1.1p.
16. Exit Installer and run anySIM 1.1p. It will warn you that you need to put in your new SIM, but this isn't true. Just leave in the AT&T SIM that came with your phone. Now Slide to Unlock, press the big red button, and wait about 5 minutes for it to finish.
17. Your phone is now activated, jailbroken, and unlocked! Stick in your new SIM and check it out! There's one small problem though - your YouTube is broken. I'm sorry but until www.jailbreakme.com stops breaking YouTube (which it should very soon), you're going to have to use a computer to fix it :(. I didn't lie though, because your phone is unlocked already!

Fixing YouTube:

18. To fix YouTube, first go make sure it's broken. Is it broken? Ok, now get up from off the floor, go find a computer, go to this site, and download the zip file it provides. Unzip it to get three files: data_ark.plist, device_private_key.pem, and device_public_key.pem.
19. (Skip this step if you are familiar with WinSCP). Then you need to use WinSCP (on a PC) to get these files on your iPhone. To do this, log on to a Wi-Fi network on your phone and get your IP address by going to Settings > Wi-Fi and then clicking the blue arrow to the right of your selected Wi-Fi network. Make a note of your IP address. Now open up WinSCP and put your phone's IP in there, use the username "root" and the password "alpine" and then make sure the File protocol is set to SCP. Now click Login and let it sit for about a minute (Ignore the Abort message and click yes to any warning messages).
20. Once you're in, navigate to var/root/Library/Lockdownd and overwrite the three files in that folder with the ones you downloaded from the site. Restart your phone and verify YouTube works.

There you go! How long did that take you? It took me about 15 minutes.

ig0titall

Oct 31, 2007
having problems with youtube

i jailbroke and unlocked the phone but still am having problems with youtube, i copied over the 3 files ... i would use a different method in the past to unlock these 1.1.1 phones and also would have to copy over the 3 files and youtube would work after just fine, after trying this method I am having problems with youtube getting the message "Cannot connect to YouTube", any suggestions as to what else I might do? This method seems really easy to use to unlock these phones just need to figure out how to get youtube working .. thanks

Bill Gates

Bronze
Oct 24, 2007
wow your awesome dude. i greatly appreciate all the work you put into this so that all the newbies like me can unlock the iPhone. i will try when i get the phone this friday. cant wait. thanks again

i fixed it

vertigo

Oct 31, 2007
This is an excellent guide to unlock a virgin-out-of-the-box 1.1.1 iPhone. But as one of the guys asked, I also got lost after running AppSnapp from the website. It did what it supposed to cause it took me to the "iPhone unlock screen", but I waited and waited and I never received the phone call. After a few tries, I restarted the phone by holding down the power button for 5 seconds, then I received the call, answered and locked my phone. Restarted it and Voila! :cool:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Just did.. total of about 10 seconds.

No phone call or activation screen for me. It just went back to slide to unlock.

ig0titall

Oct 31, 2007
after restarting the phone and jailbreaking it i get to the main screen but no INSTALLER icon is there only iTunes, what do I do in this situation?

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
revert to locked

After using this method to unlock the iPhone, what is the appropriate way of reverting back to a LOCKED iPhone? Of course, doing this without bricking the iPhone would be the best!

Thanks in advance for any help!