Jailbreak? Unlock? Help!

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Before you read, just know I know nothing about hacking and such.

So, I'm getting my iPhone first thing on Monday and I have a few, newbish questions...

What the hell is jailbreak? Unlock? ibrick?

I'm guessing jailbreak is being able to put third party apps. What do you need (programs) in order to do so? Thanks in advance, I'll ask more if more questions pop up. Just a brief summary to someone who is completely clueless would be helpful.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Good questions. I haven't figured out what the differences are either.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think jailbreaking is making it so you can install 3rd party applications. Unlocking makes it so you can use a different carrier other than AT&T. I don't know what ibrick is... or some of the other terms I see here like baseband, BSB, summerboard, springboard, SSH.....any many others.
It's hard being a newbie. :(

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Welcome to the forum.

After you get your phone, look me up and I can help you answer all your questions.:)

Before you read, just know I know nothing about hacking and such.

So, I'm getting my iPhone first thing on Monday and I have a few, newbish questions...

What the hell is jailbreak? Unlock? ibrick?

I'm guessing jailbreak is being able to put third party apps. What do you need (programs) in order to do so? Thanks in advance, I'll ask more if more questions pop up. Just a brief summary to someone who is completely clueless would be helpful.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Welcome to the site.

When it comes to describing jailbreaking, unlocking, and all of what is associated with it, there's way too much to describe in one post. PM either me or KNK (above).

PM me
PM KNK

- John