Jailbreak vs Unlock?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Jailbreak is the process of getting access to the iPhone's file system (or the areas of it Apple doesn't give access to) for the purpose of installing 3rd party applications.

Unlocking means making the iPhone usable on other cellphone carrier networks, other than the official apple-approved carriers - AT&T in the US, O2 in the UK etc.

Generally (unless you use a hardware unlock method) you need to be jailbroken in order to try any unlocking of the iPhone ...

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Jailbreak is the process of getting access to the iPhone's file system (or the areas of it Apple doesn't give access to) for the purpose of installing 3rd party applications.

Unlocking means making the iPhone usable on other cellphone carrier networks, other than the official apple-approved carriers - AT&T in the US, O2 in the UK etc.

Generally (unless you use a hardware unlock method) you need to be jailbroken in order to try any unlocking of the iPhone ...
I'm happy with ATT, but I like the themes such as those I've seen on SummerBoard, so Jailbreak would be sufficient.

Or should I wait until the SDK is released?

Thanks,
Michael

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm happy with ATT, but I like the themes such as those I've seen on SummerBoard, so Jailbreak would be sufficient.

Or should I wait until the SDK is released?

Thanks,
Michael
If you're happy with AT&T, then yeah - jailbreak is the only one you need to consider.
As for whether you should wait, your call - the SDK is supposed to be out quite soon (next week) and *maybe* there will immediately be some apps that do the same as Summerboard etc, or maybe there won't - depends how patient you are and how happy you are with the stock phone ...

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
its ben my expierience that most pple only unlock if they r in a seriouse contract with someone eles and just half to have the iPhone.