Jailbreak + Warranty

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Does jail breaking your iPhone void your warranty? (I am going to say it does).

That brings me to my next question:

Can Apple tell if a phone has been jail broken?

Can I just do a restore on the phone and then it would look like it came straight from the factory?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Does jail breaking your iPhone void your warranty? (I am going to say it does).
No, it won't, but see below.

That brings me to my next question:

Can Apple tell if a phone has been jail broken?

Can I just do a restore on the phone and then it would look like it came straight from the factory?
They can tell if you bring it in jailbroken with some kind of theme or non App Store app on it (like Cydia or Installer). The best thing to do if you need to take it in for repair or replacement is to restore it.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
No, it won't, but see below.

They can tell if you bring it in jailbroken with some kind of theme or non App Store app on it (like Cydia or Installer). The best thing to do if you need to take it in for repair or replacement is to restore it.
I beg to differ. If you bring your phone in because of an issue and it's obviously jail broken, they will NOT honor any warranties...

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Correct, a full restore removes any sign of Jailbreaking. :)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Jailbreaking clearly voilates the warranty. Don't kid yourselves there. If possible, restore the device back to factory settings before bringing to the Apple Store for possible replacement.

Jailbreaking apps will leave some trace files on the device, even after restoring to factory settings. The important thing to note is that Apple Store employees lack the time nor the equipment necessary for pursuing this line of inquiry. Instead, it will be detected when the returned iPhone is refurbished.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Jailbreaking clearly voilates the warranty. Don't kid yourselves there. If possible, restore the device back to factory settings before bringing to the Apple Store for possible replacement.

Jailbreaking apps will leave some trace files on the device, even after restoring to factory settings. The important thing to note is that Apple Store employees lack the time nor the equipment necessary for pursuing this line of inquiry. Instead, it will be detected when the returned iPhone is refurbished.
I wonder if they really care because once the phone comes back, they probably don't have the time to investigate if it was jailbroken or not. They probably just wipe it and reload the OS.

AusZero

Jan 6, 2008
I think it depends entirely on the employee. I have had a 2g since Jan and last night I wasn't able to charge it sing two different chargers. I then hooked it up to my computer and received a message that said there was a malfunction with the USB device.
Went into the Apple store and the Apple genius said they would swap it out. He then looked down on it and laughed when he saw that it was jailbroken. He said he had to restore it back to an unbroken status. However he couldnt because the port was not functioning. He walked away and came back with a new 2g anf handed it to me and that was that.
I have heard that jail breaking was a void of the warranty but this employee didn't say a word about it and was very pleasant.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I think it depends entirely on the employee. I have had a 2g since Jan and last night I wasn't able to charge it sing two different chargers. I then hooked it up to my computer and received a message that said there was a malfunction with the USB device.
Went into the Apple store and the Apple genius said they would swap it out. He then looked down on it and laughed when he saw that it was jailbroken. He said he had to restore it back to an unbroken status. However he couldnt because the port was not functioning. He walked away and came back with a new 2g anf handed it to me and that was that.
I have heard that jail breaking was a void of the warranty but this employee didn't say a word about it and was very pleasant.
LOL!

That would be my luck that the USB would go and I couldn't fix back to normal - :\

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
You couldn't have picked a more biased article. The authors name is BigBoss, for crying out loud. It's also quite obviously on a website about modifying the iPhone.

But that's cool, too. I'm pro jailbrake I just don't know if your article has any credability to it...
I know - :p

Just thought I would point it out.

j2innet

Jul 19, 2009
if i want to bring in my iPhone for repair, and Apple genius ask me "gee, wat is this cydia", i would say "it probably a virus, i just dun know, your iPhone sucks, your iPhone dun have anti-virus".

from,
http://j2tech.blogspot.com