Jailbreak - worst case scenario

AlterEgo

Sep 22, 2008
hi everyone,

I looked around a lot in all kinds of iPhone discussion groups and forums but I simply didn't get enough information concerning my question:

If you jailbreak your iPhone without (!) unlocking it: what could be the worst case scenario if you update your iPhone to a newer firmware?
Anyway can a firmware update that recognizes your iPhone as jailbroken do any irreversible damage to your iPhone?

thanks for every help!

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
hi everyone,

I looked around a lot in all kinds of iPhone discussion groups and forums but I simply didn't get enough information concerning my question:

If you jailbreak your iPhone without (!) unlocking it: what could be the worst case scenario if you update your iPhone to a newer firmware?
Anyway can a firmware update that recognizes your iPhone as jailbroken do any irreversible damage to your iPhone?

thanks for every help!

there is only the jailbreak on the iPhone and firmwares, there is no unlocking it on the 3G at this time. So you HAVE to use it with AT&T. The worst case scenario is that you have to restore your phone via iTunes back to factory settings with the newest firmware.

AlterEgo

Sep 22, 2008
ok thanks for your help.
actually I don't plan to unlock my iPhone, and I will use it with my AT&T contract.

There are of course several great apps for jailbroken iPhones only. But I'm really a bit afraid that a firmware update (or other updates on my "jailbroken" iPhone) will influence my warranty for example. Or Apple will block my iTunes Store account or some sort of thing when they identify my iPhone as jailbroken....

LionOfTheSouthUK

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
Well people have been jailbreaking their iPhones almost since it was first released . As far as I know , nobody has had their iTunes account blocked...Im sure it would have been reported somewhere!
Warranty? If there comes a time you need to return it under warranty, restore it to factory settings and they will be none the wiser.If you mistakenly update the firmware when released , your only problem will be that the iPhone will no longer be jailbroken.Personally I can think of absolutely no reason not to JB .Even if its only for one particular app or the ability to change themes its got to be worth the 5 minutes of your time to do it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The benefits involved with jailbreaking certainly outweigh the consequences. I've had a jailbroken phone since a few weeks after I got my v1 and I don't think I will ever go stock again.

Apple is not able to block your iTunes account and they won't know you've jailbroken your phone if you have restored it prior to taking into Apple for service.

AlterEgo

Sep 22, 2008
sorry got another beginner question:

in the jailbreaking guide it says: make sure your iPhone is activated.
well I don't know if my iPhone is activated.... how do I check this?

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
It basically means that you need to make sure your iPhone is activated with AT&T and that when it goes through iTunes, much like it did when you first got your phone it will show that you have service with AT&T and allow you to use it.

AlterEgo

Sep 22, 2008
ok nice! i'll see, but a friend of mine is using the iPhone in Austria (attention: Austria is NOT Australia; Austria is a small country in Europe) and there he is using the iPhone with a complete different carrier (one) and never had to pass such an activation process like with AT&T...
whats with his iPhone activation? (he is using it fine for 2 weeks now!)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure that the European carriers have a slightly modified activation process than the iPhones in the U.S. which would possibly allow him to Jailbreak without activation.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I was going to Jailbreak my 3G but I also wanted to make sure there wasn't a chance I might end up with a brick as well. There was this Digg article earlier today which was supposed to showcase the best apps for a JB phone though and I'm not sure if I'm gonna bother now; the only app that interested me was the app to let me record videos and I think I'd rather keep my warranty safe. Anytime there's been something worth recording there's usually a friend with a non-iphone with me.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have recently "jailed" my iPhone, but i have to say, if it wasn't for the lag i experienced when i jailbroke my 2.1 theres no way id have gone back. And after this lag is fixed ill be Jb'ing 1st chance i get. If your with an official carrier (o2 here in the UK) theres almost no chance of bricking your phone.

Worst case scenario is that you have to do a full restore to factory settings, so make sure you back up contacts etc to a computer! :)

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
worst case if your scared that a f/w update will brick it then just do a full restore to the current f/w before doing the update by doing the shift click on the restore button and pick the current f/w version thats installed before downloading the new one... but this has never been an issuse.... theres always DFU mode that will allow you to restore regardless of whats on the phone

madasnirp

Oct 24, 2008
Thanks to everyone for clearing up all the jailbreaking myths. I was pretty scared to jailbreak my beautiful 3G, but now that I know it is completely reversible I have no problem doing it! iPhone video here I come...

Thanks again!

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
The Good and Bad of Jailbreaking

I just JB'ed my phone today and the first two apps I installed where Cycorder (video recording) and BossPrefs (consolidated app to control and toggle various iPhone settings).

My only major gripe is that none of my settings were preserved. I thought I asked that question and was told that application data would not disappear. It turns out not only did my app data disappear, but all my settings (email account settings, wireless WEP key, Safari favorites, Camera Roll, etc.)

Also, why doesn't BossPrefs have a toggle for the GPS (Location Services)? That's very lame. :(